Village Health Works (VHW) is 501(c)(3) organization operating in Kigutu, Burundi. Founded in 2006, VHW’s mission is to provide quality, compassionate health care in a dignified environment while treating the root causes of illness, poverty, violence, and neglect in collaboration with the community. VHW’s approach integrates clinical health services with programs in education, food security, economic development, environmental protection, music and the arts. VHW’s central program is a health clinic that conducted nearly 38,000 patient consultations in 2017 and has 4 inpatient wards.
After a remarkable first decade of operations, Village Health Works is charting an ambitious course for the future. A series of bold new initiatives are currently underway, including the construction of the Kigutu Hospital and Women’s Health Pavilion. This 150-bed, state-of-the- art teaching hospital will meet the health needs of the entire community, particularly women and children. Once established, the hospital will improve the quality of life of tens of thousands of Burundians. In addition, VHW is establishing the Kigutu International Academy (KIA), a grade 7-12 boarding school for promising youth from across Burundi. By offering an innovative curriculum focused on building 21st century skills, the Academy will develop a generation of entrepreneurial leaders for Burundi. Both the Hospital and Academy will serve as teaching facilities in order build the capacities of health care and education professionals country-wide.
VHW is seeking an experienced and highly skilled professional to lead VHW’s country operations and programs during this time of bold growth. As the senior Burundi-based professional, the Director of Programs and Operations will direct and coordinate all activities in Kigutu. S/he will be responsible for managing day to day operations, including overseeing program delivery across health, education, economic development and community engagement programs, as well as all administrative activities. The Director of Programs and Operations will lead a diverse team on the ground, which currently numbers over 400 and includes both Burundian and ex-patriate staff. The Director of Programs and Operations will be responsible for motivating and managing this diverse team, including setting and measuring performance objectives across the organization.
As the senior in-country manager of a complex and growing organization, the Director of Programs and Operations must be both a very strong project manager and an outstanding team leader. The Director will play a pivotal role in ensuring that VHW delivers outstanding results in all areas through superior planning, program delivery, management and communication. The Director of Programs and Operations will work closely with team members in Burundi and NYC, reporting directly to the Founder and CEO of VHW, as well as interacting with the VHW’s Board of Directors.
Given the critical nature of the Director of Programs and Operations position to the overall success of VHW, an outstanding candidate is sought. Candidates must have experience working in the western world and demonstrate deep experience in project management and leading teams in challenging contexts in Africa. The ideal candidate should have experience in: planning; building systems and procedures across an organization; developing accountability frameworks and measures; and setting and holding team members to high performance standards. We seek someone with an entrepreneurial mind-set who constantly strives for operational excellence and shows a deep commitment to the mission and values of VHW. Candidates should have demonstrated ability to lead by example, motivate and build teams, model a culture of continuous improvement, and inspire others.
Specific duties and responsibilities are noted below.
Duties and Responsibilities
Program delivery and operations:
● Set strategic objectives and measurable goals across the organization
● Oversee program planning and delivery
● Coordinate all administrative activities to ensure effective operations
● Develop reporting and accountability measures across the organization
● Set and manage budgets across the organization
● Ensure proper financial controls are in place
● Manage timely reporting and compliance
Human resources management:
● Develop and manage a team of diverse staff members across the organization
● Participate in recruitment, selection and ongoing professional development of staff
● Model professionalism, excellence and leadership
● Masters’ Degree in Business, Public Health, Public Administration or other relevant degree
● 15+ years of management and operations experience in complex and challenging environments, including in Africa ● Experience in leading large and diverse teams and working across cultures
● Proven ability to drive organizational change and produce transformational results
● Fluent in English and French
● Superior project management skills
● Outstanding communication and leadership skills
● Strong work ethic and deep commitment to the mission and vision of VHW
● Compassion, excellence, social justice, accountability, resilience, flexibility and dedication
Level of Language Proficiency
Fluency in English and French required.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit (in English) a cover letter and CV to email@example.com. Please include "Director of Programs and Operations" in the subject line of your email. Please note that due to the high volume of applications, you will only be contacted if your application advances. Thank you for your interest in Village Health Works.