Potential Work Locations: Ft. Lauderdale, FL; Orlando, FL; or Jacksonville, FL
The National Multiple Sclerosis Society mobilizes people and resources to drive research for a cure and to address the challenges of everyone affected by MS. To fulfill this mission, the Society funds cutting-edge research, drives change through advocacy, facilitates professional education, collaborates with MS organizations around the world, and provides programs and services designed to help people with MS and their families movetheir lives forward. We partner with volunteers to accomplish our work. Staff members engage volunteers through effective and timely communications, facilitating meaningful opportunities, and continually seeking and providing feedback for reciprocal growth and learning.
We are seeking a collaborative relationship builder to join our Development team as a Specialist, Volunteer Engagement.
The Specialist, Volunteer Engagement is responsible for recruiting, placing, training, engaging, recognizing, and tracking volunteers for Bike MS, Walk MS, Challenge Walk MS and MuckFest according to assigned portfolio of events. This position works closely with the fundraising and logistics staff as well as event committee members and logistics companies (where applicable) to ensure event success through engagement of volunteers and creating a positive volunteers experience. This position also serves as a single point of entry to the organization for volunteers and engages volunteers to build personal and organizational capacity.
1. Event volunteer engagement: Support volunteer engagement initiatives for Bike MS, Walk MS, Challenge Walk and MuckFest MS events. Initiatives include recruitment, placement, training, engagement, recognition, and tracking of all event volunteers leading up to and on the day of the event as well as ongoing communication with logistics and fundraising teams to assess progress.
- Implement recruitment strategy that includes re-engaging prior event volunteers through phone calls and emails as well as outreach to new volunteers and community groups
- Execute event communication plan and coordinate with appropriate staff to ensure promotion of opportunities across all media streams (e-blasts, websites, social media, etc.)
- Provide clear and consistent communication prior to and at the event: work with volunteers to determine appropriate volunteer position; confirm volunteer placement; provide event details, duties, and expectations; determine opportunities for engagement in other areas of our work
- Ensure volunteers are properly trained and oriented to their role
- Implement recognition strategy, ensuring each volunteer feels valued and appreciate for their contributions
- Track event volunteer data in accordance with data strategy
- Maintain regular communication with fundraising and logistics staff, sharing progress on filling volunteer positions, developing contingency plans where necessary, and troubleshooting volunteer gaps
- Ensure day of event volunteer plans are implemented; identify and train staff to support day of event volunteers in various markets/areas.
- Ensure risk management requirements are met for all event volunteers, efficiently managing completion and collection of volunteer waivers, background checks and required training
2. Other volunteer engagement: Engage volunteers across the organization to build capacity including recruiting, managing and onboarding.
- Recruit, screen, train, onboard, manage, and track skilled and specialty volunteers.
- Be knowledgeable of all opportunities to engage in our work in assigned market
- Implement centrally produced tools and resources to create a consistent volunteer experience across the organization
- Execute volunteer recognition strategy, including working with market leader to identify and nominate awardees for Impact Series and Volunteer Hall of Fame awards
- Engage volunteers in other programs, including MS Ambassadors and internships
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor of Arts or Science
- 6+ years of recruitment and/or management of volunteers may be accepted in lieu of a Bachelor's Degree
- Three or more years of volunteer engagement required
- Exceptional organizational and time-management skills
- Strong interpersonal and problem-solving skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to manage multiple tasks, projects and priorities effectively
- Demonstrated initiative and motivation
- Ability to manage difficult or complex situations and/or relationships with confidence and diplomacy
- Ability to establish strong collaborative relations and work with others in a cooperative and effective manner
- Commitment to the mission, vision, cultural values, and expectations of the National MS Society
- Computer knowledge and experience in MS Office suite.
- Ability to quickly learn new software is desired. Database experience preferred but not required.
- This position will be required to drive/travel on Society business. Candidate must possess a valid driver's license, proof of insurance, and reliable transportation. The Society does run motor vehicle checks for all positions which require driving and the applicant must meet the Society guidelines.
The National Multiple Sclerosis Society provides a highly competitive, comprehensive benefit package to employees. These benefits include a considerable Paid Time Off Plan; Paid Holidays; 401k Retirement Savings Plan with Society match; Educational Reimbursement Plan; Professional Development Assistance; Commuter Benefit Plan; Comprehensive Health & Welfare benefits including Medical, Dental, Vision, Flex Spending Accounts, Life Insurance, Disability Coverage, Life Assistance Plan as well as additional voluntary benefit offerings.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit your resume and/or cover letter by applying directly to the job posting located on our company website: