Covenant House Illinois ("CHIL"):
Founded in 1972, Covenant House is the largest charity across the hemisphere serving homeless, trafficked, and runaway youth. Located in 30 cities across six countries, Covenant House offers a broad range of essential services to help youth move from poverty to opportunity and from homelessness to hope. These services include emergency shelter, transitional and supported housing, food, clothing, legal aid, medical care, educational services, job training and placement services, childcare, and parenting support programs.
We are seeking a dynamic and dedicated individual to work on the growth of our site in Chicago as our Capital Campaign Officer. S/he will serve in a unique role that will ensure the long-term success of our organization.
The Capital Campaign Officer is responsible for managing CHIL’s capital campaign; supporting the efforts of the organization’s leadership; and leading the Capital Campaign Committee to cultivate, solicit and steward campaign and leadership donors. This essential position will help support the organization’s mission to expand services and expand its footprint by generating philanthropic dollars for the purchase and renovation of a new facility.
Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Collaborate with the team at CHIL to create the systems, structures and initial strategies of the Capital Campaign.
- Help support Board of Directors & Capital Campaign Committee in their solicitation efforts.
- Collaborate in all Development-related aspects of the campaign’s launch.
- Assist in developing Capital Campaign revenue streams for CHIL: individual giving, foundations, corporations, special events, government and legacy.
- Assist in developing the Capital Campaign strategic plan.
- Provide direction for CHIL Board Members & Capital Campaign Committee volunteers.
- Oversee all aspects of campaign giving.
- Oversee all aspects of campaign-specific special events and outreach.
- Oversee all aspects of Capital Campaign Committee communication.
- Oversee all aspects of campaign corporate engagement.
- Participate in all aspects of campaign messaging, cultivation, solicitation & stewardship.
- Participate in all capital campaign leadership matters including budgeting, benchmarking, and strategic planning.
- Work closely with the program and administration teams to carry out all relevant Department functions.
- Attend fundraising seminars and or training that are relevant to the position.
Donor Moves Management
- Identify, research, cultivate, solicit and provide stewardship for a portfolio of capital campaign and major gift prospects (individuals, foundations and corporations) within the systems and structures identified by CHIL.
- Communicate with funders to keep them informed and engaged in the Covenant House Illinois Community.
- Ensure that information regarding donors and prospects learned in the course of cultivation, solicitation and stewardship is added to the Department’s database systems.
- Work with finance to manage all of the data and operational aspects of the Development function (acknowledgements, gift processing, data entry, etc.)
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Master’s Degree preferred.
- At least five (5) years of Chicago-based fundraising experience with knowledge of capital campaigns, preferably in a social services organization.
- Advanced knowledge of non-profit fundraising industry.
- Must possess strong interpersonal skills, be a self-starter with networking experience.
- Be creative, focused and able to adapt well to many circumstances.
- Must be a very collaborative team player and able to work with all levels of management in a fast-paced environment.
- Highly organized, detail-oriented and possess excellent follow-up skills.
- Excellent time management skills with a strong ability to multi-task.
- Knowledge of MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of MS Publisher and Raisers Edge a plus.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be available to work a flexible schedule including weekends, evenings, night hours and some holidays as needed.
- Ability to travel as needed, especially within Illinois.
- Must have a thorough understanding of the mission of Covenant House and the work done by the agency.
- Must demonstrate a deep dedication to the mission of Covenant House.