About Us: Homes for the Homeless (HFH) offers broad spectrum of services for homeless families with children. One of our most important programs is our sleep-away summer wilderness camp experiences for children living in shelters in New York City. Camp Wakonda is offering motivated leaders an unforgettable summer helping homeless children experience the great outdoors! Located on freshwater lakes in Harriman State Park and just 1 hour from NYC, we serve a co-ed population of 75 campers ages 7-9 at Camp Wakonda. For more information about our summer camp program, please visit us at www.hfhcamps.org.
We are seeking an upbeat and resourceful leader for the position of Camp Director. The Camp Director oversees day-to-day operations and is responsible for the safety and well-being of camp staff and campers for the duration of the program season. Our summer team is a supportive, tight-knit group. We take care of each other and we take care of our campers.
- Balancing superb organization and creativity while nurturing an amazing camp community of staff and campers.
- Balancing a macro view of camp operations with an appreciation for individual camper/staff creativity and growth.
- Model program participation and appropriate camper interaction.
- Mentor and supervise leadership staff.
- Work closely with Senior Camp Operations Associate and other colleagues at our Manhattan Headquarters.
- Oversee all on-site operations and budgets, programs, maintenance, and health functions.
- Conduct periodic formal and informal staff performance evaluations.
- Hire and train camp staff.
- Ensure camp is compliant with HFH policies and procedures, American Camp Association Accreditation guidelines, and other regulations.
- Develop and implement an effective training program for the pre-camp staff orientation with camp leadership.
- Inspect and maintain facilities and grounds to insure the safety of staff and campers.
- Desire to work and live in the great outdoors from June 3th, 2019 through August 20th, 2019!
- Must be able to provide some per-diem recruitment and curriculum planning support between February and May before Camp opens.
- Demonstrated leadership and organizational abilities.
- Recommended at least 24 weeks (two seasons) of experience working with at-risk, underserved children and youth in a residential camp setting.
- Ability to actively mentor staff from all background in a variety of roles.
- Minimum of two seasons of administrative or supervisory experience in a residential camp. Previous experience at an ACA-accredited camp preferred.
- Relevant bachelor’s degree (education, social work, youth development, physical education, etc.) preferred.
- At least 25 years of age.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Additional special skills and certifications ( First Aid, CPR, EMT, Ropes Course, Guitar, etc.) are a plus.
If hired, you will be required to:
- Provide three letters of reference
- Provide proof of a physical exam by a licensed Medical Doctor, including required immunizations
- Pass criminal background check.
- Obtain First Aid and CPR certification.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer (EEO) committed to equal treatment of all employees without regard to race, national origin, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, veteran status, physical or mental disability or other basis protected by law.
Minimum Education Required