Assistant, Human Resources & Operations
Ceres is a sustainability nonprofit organization leading the most influential investors and companies to build leadership and drive solutions throughout the economy. Through our powerful networks and advocacy, we tackle the world’s biggest sustainability challenges, including climate change, water scarcity and pollution, and human rights abuses.
For more information about Ceres, please visit our web site (www.ceres.org).
Description & Responsibilities
The Human Resources and Operations Assistant will serve as the receptionist and play a key administrative support role in managing the Ceres office, including monitoring and tracking inventory and managing vendor relationships, and providing logistical and data tracking support to Human Resources, and supports the production of the Ceres’ Sustainability Report by tracking and organizing data for the report. The position is located in our Boston office and will work with and report to the Senior Department Director of Human Resources and Operations. This job offers an opportunity for a friendly, mature, and highly organized individual to join a growing organization and engage in a variety of activities.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to the following:
Human Resources (HR)
- Prepare invoices for payments of employee benefits
- Send bi-weekly payroll reminders to staff and assist with colleting overtime approvals
- Support HR with job postings
- Create welcome packets for new staff members and assist with scheduling HR onboarding
- Support the onboarding process for new staff by coordinating computer, phone business cards, and work space set-up, including setting up e-mail, calendar, conference call and server accounts
- Assist with distribution of benefits materials to staff members
- Monitor staff I-9 expirations dates and collect updated information when necessary
- Support logistical needs of recruiting, training, and wellness activities
- Maintain turnover data information and provide monthly reports
- Maintain staff lists and seating charts and distribute to staff when changes occur
- Support HR with external reporting requests
- Conduct research as needed
- Serve as reception for Ceres providing phone coverage, greeting visitors to the office and accepting and signing for packages, and delivering mail and materials to colleagues
- Serve as liaison with office equipment and supplies vendors and trouble shoot issues with machines
- Organize and keep tidy office supply closet and oversee ordering of new materials and furniture as necessary
- Manage the office security card system, including issuing new cards, canceling lost cards, and limiting security access when appropriate.
- Track inventory of Ceres paraphernalia, wi-fi devices, office equipment and furniture
- Oversee kitchen purchases of healthy office food and kitchen supplies that are environmentally-conscious while being affordable
- Serve as liaison with building maintenance and security staff, and sub-tenant
- Partner with the Senior Department Director with organizing and moving staff when building alarms are sounded
- Support Manager, Information Systems with external IT vendor office visits and training staff to use office A/V and schedule time with IT vendor for staff
- Review invoices and prepare payments for office-wide services and equipment such as phone, copier, mail service, electricity and office lease
- Provide administrative support to the production of the Ceres’ Sustainability Report
- Provide limited administrative support to the Senior Department Director
- 1-2 years of work experience, in an office setting, preferred.
- Associate degree required or Bachelor degree, preferred.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, required.
- Familiarity with a database system, preferred.
- Well-developed organizational and problem-solving skills necessary.
- Ability to look at problems as opportunities.
- Strong attention to detail and good follow-through on projects.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively as part of a team.
- Strong people skills with the ability to work with a wide range
- Familiarity with Apple products, a plus.
- Ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Understand how to manage staff expectations and provide helpful communication.
- Remain calm and thoughtful in times of crisis.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
How to Apply
We encourage all applicants to review our website to familiarize themselves with Ceres before applying: www.ceres.org. If you are interested in applying, please submit a cover letter, resume, two writing samples, and a list of three references, as well as complete the additional information as instructed.
Ceres is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against any individual based on race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law.