Reading Partners is changing the education landscape. We are a leader in working to solve the literacy crisis in our country by leveraging community volunteers in under-resourced schools. Our diverse and expansive volunteer base provides one-on-one tutoring to students twice weekly, and our program is proven to help children master the reading fundamentals they need to unlock their potential as successful, happy and confident readers in school and in life. Our people are our heartbeat and our greatest resource; we are all passionately rallied around our mission to help children become lifelong learners by empowering communities to provide individualized instruction that works. Join our stellar team leading the charge to deepen our impact and expand our service. Learn more about us atwww.readingpartners.org.
The High Level
The National Manager, Annual Giving is part of a team of fundraisers working together to support Reading Partners’ strategic growth plan through fundraising. The focus of this role is to organize and develop the organization-wide annual appeal campaign, create and manage meaningful donor communications, develop new tools for engaging individuals, expanding our donor base of individuals giving under $1,000. Reporting the Major Gifts Officer, the National Manager, Annual Giving will lead, execute, innovate, and evaluate a comprehensive Annual Giving Program to increase participation and financial investment from individual donors, while supporting some major gifts work. The Annual Giving Manager is a highly collaborative, goal-oriented, and driven relationship builder, who is excited by higher-level strategy, on-the-ground operational work, and supporting regional and national fundraisers to achieve fundraising success.
What you’ll do:
Develop and lead a comprehensive annual giving program to raise $500,000+ in the 2018-2019 fiscal year, increasing annually.
- Manage the annual appeal campaign from creation through execution including developing the strategy, content, and timeline of appeals focused on individuals with estimated giving capacity below $1,000.
- Work with Reading Partners’ 14 regions to project manage and execute appeal strategy and distribution to ensure success.
- Develop and implement a recruitment and retention plan for individual donors to further cultivate relationships and annual financial pledges.
- Develop and implement programs to attract new donors, renew lapsed donors, solicit recurring gifts, and identify and cultivate annual giving donors.
- Partner with development operations on data tracking and analysis to inform annual giving strategies.
- Track progress of new, pending, and fulfilled pledges.
Create tools, messaging, and processes to support annual fund donor communication and stewardship throughout the year.
- Create and standardize individual donor communication tool kit for all development staff.
- Determine protocol, craft content, and recommended timeline for all acknowledgment activities.
- Coordinate with the Marketing & Communications team on newsletters and other donor-facing communication pieces to ensure materials are relevant and targeted.
- Manage all donor distribution lists and review lists regularly with appropriate parties.
Pilot new and innovative approaches to expanding our annual giving donor network, including but not exclusively, our current tutor base, and scale effective approaches rapidly.
- Collaborate with regional teams to understand current practices (including strengths and challenges) in soliciting gifts and conducting stewardship for annual fund donors.
- Apply best practice knowledge in creating new campaigns to target and increase incremental donor base.
- Keep abreast of latest trends in technology with application for fundraising; develop and enhance the latest digital tools to support individual giving at all levels, including web site updates.
- Prototype and test new strategies with our current constituents to develop the best cultivation strategies.
- Explore and evaluate opportunities to engage new constituent groups in supporting Reading Partners.
Support the efforts of the Major Gifts Officer to raise $800K by developing proposals and supporting materials for major gift prospects.
- Partner with Marketing and Communications to create compelling pitches and materials to be used in the solicitation of major individual donor prospects.
- Collate and/or support the development of high-quality major-donor focused programming and collateral to be used by Regional development staff.
- Assist with tracking of major gifts progress (moves management) in Salesforce and provide support for monthly pipeline meetings.
How you’ll do it:
Demonstrate an ability to work collaboratively with National Development leadership to develop strategic fundraising plans, create action steps, and mobilize many stakeholders to achieve fundraising goals. In close collaboration, support the national development team to build sustainable plans to maximize opportunities, meet goals, and significantly grow funding. Execute work in a highly organized, analytical, and data-informed manner.
Think creatively to strategize, develop, and expand the annual fund and other individual focused giving programs to engage a broad spectrum of individuals (i.e. staff, tutors AmeriCorps alumni) in supporting Reading Partners.
Effectively write high-quality donor communications that demonstrate deep knowledge of our program and promote our mission. Demonstrate the ability to write customized and compelling messages. Through exceptional writing, serve as an ambassador of Reading Partners.
Communicate effectively with all internal stakeholders at the national office and with regional teams.
Relationship Development & Collaboration:
Internally, establish highly collaborative relationships with all team members in national departments and in regions. Demonstrate a hunger to learn, grow, support, and add great value. Regularly seek to understand all aspects of our model to convey externally.
Demonstrate a high level of process and detail orientation in all aspects of this work.
You’ll be successful in this role if you:
- Show 3+ years of increasing responsibility in a development or related role
- Demonstrate strong knowledge base of annual giving programs.
- Are an exceptional and persuasive communicator in writing and verbally
- Are a self-starter, with a proven ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Possess the ability to work well in an extremely fast paced, ever changing environment.
- Have a high degree of comfort with Salesforce or other fundraising database.
- Ability to create visually engaging presentations in PowerPoint or other presentation software.
- Are well-organized, detail-oriented, and have strong critical thinking skills.
- Have project management expertise with the ability to manage multiple projects with competing demands, while maintaining a commitment to excellence.
- Are achievement-oriented and have a demonstrated track record of achieving aggressive fundraising goals
- Boast a deep belief in our mission
- Hold a bachelor’s degree
- Root your work in our core values
- Hold US Citizenship or Permanent Resident Status
Bonus Points if you:
- Are an AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, or other national service alum/alumna
- Have experience working in launch or growth phases of organizations
- Have experience working in education or literacy
What we offer
- Reading Partners offers the full package – great benefits, a great place to work and the opportunity to have a glowing and growing career.
- We offer a competitive salary commensurate with experience. This is a full time, exempt, salaried position.
- We offer a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, disability, life insurance, flex spending accounts, generous paid time off, commuter benefits, referral bonuses, 403(b) option, and Employee Assistance Program (EAP).
- We offer an exciting and dynamic culture, and we commit to investing in and supporting our amazing people to grow their careers with us. As such, we provide ongoing professional development opportunities, including an annual staff retreat in Oakland, CA.
The other things you need to know
Travel: This position is located in our headquarters location of Oakland, CA. Travel for this role is limited to less than 10%, with occasional travel required to Reading Partners 14 regions across the country.
Typical Physical & Mental Demands: Requires prolonged sitting with some bending, stooping and stretching, and eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, telephone, photocopier, calculator and other office equipment. Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to communicate with volunteers and staff. Also requires flexibility to readily adapt to a changing environment.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
If you feel you are a strong fit for this position, please submit:
- A one-page cover letter clearly stating why you would be a successful National Annual Giving Manager at Reading Partners
- Your resume
Reading Partners is an Equal Opportunity Employer, with a strong commitment to diversity in the workplace.