8000 Cherokee Street
School Director - Jewish Children’s Folkshul - Posted October 29, 2018
Providing a secular, humanist Jewish educational experience for children and youth in the greater Philadelphia metropolitan area.
Philadelphia-based Folkshul has offered a secular, humanist Jewish experience to children and youth from pre-school through 12th-grade for over 75 years. With approximately seventy-five families and one hundred students each year, we provide a hub of learning and cultural activity to a vibrant and engaged membership. Folkshul is a parent-run cooperative with an active and engaged volunteer board and small professional staff, for which we seek an energetic and personable School Director.
This is a part-time position with an average of 20-hours per week during the school year, including Sunday morning shul and activities (September – May), and 10-hours per week during the summer months (June – August).
The School Director will oversee a staff of ten, including an Assistant Director, Teachers, and B’nai Mitzvah Coordinator. S/he will evaluate the curricula and instructional methods, oversee school administration activities, and be an engaged, collaborative, and visible community leader.
The School Director will work closely with the executive leadership, Adult Community Coordinator and the Board of Directors to ensure the smooth operation of Shul.
In addition to a strong belief in the value of Secular Jewish education, we seek an experienced leader and educator with the following credentials:
- BS/BA required, prefer advanced degree in education, education administration, Jewish education, or related field
- 5 to 10 years of experience in an instructional leadership role
- 3 to 5 years as a K-8 classroom teacher, strongly preferred
- Interested in, or experienced in the Secular Humanistic Jewish environment
- Jewish Education background (not necessarily secular)
- Able to command respect, confidence, and commitment within and outside Folkshul community
- Energy, passion, and experience implementing best practices in secular Jewish education
- Comfortable using computers and all standard office software, including database, social media, and other communication tools
- Exceptional relationship, interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
If you possess the above qualifications and a deep love of children, family, and community, and if you appreciate the rich Folkshul heritage, we invite you to e-mail your letter of interest, including a brief statement of your educational philosophy and your interest in this position, and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the following subject line for your submission: Director Search | [YOUR LAST NAME]. Applications should be received no later than December 1, 2018. No phone calls, please.
More information about Folkshul is available on our website: www.folkshul.org.