Details: 3,000 Quetzales per month is a comfortable salary for a professional living and working in Santiago Atitlán.
Centro Commercial Las Mascaras 2d Floor
The textile designer will work directly with the production director and marketing coordinator to design new products for the shop, as well as create custom products for international clients. S/he will take into account current trends, pricing and our customer throughout the design process.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Research of inspirations for textiles, patterns, color ranges to develop new collections.
- Development of samples of fabrics working with our artisans and based on local techniques: brocades, tie-and-dyes, patterns.
- Sourcing and purchase of eco friendly supplies, including threads, leathers, trimmings from suppliers in Guatemala and abroad.
- Production of textiles and finished products (accessories, scarves and home goods) for both the association’s collections and special clients. This will include updating classic collections and creating custom products for the international market. Designer must follow a new product from inspiration to samples to finished product, adjusting at each step.
- Work with production director on quality control, ensuring consistency.
- Assist with the communication of the collections and the Association’s mission. Can involve photography and graphic design for print and online communication.
The association will provide classes of weaving and teaching the local techniques if wanted. This position will help the designer to contribute to a team while learning design skills on the job. Santiago Atitlán is a beautiful place to live on the shores of Lake Atitlán with views of volcanos across our town that has a rich textile tradition and resilient indigenous history. As a small organization, you will not only receive individual support from our team but also will be able to see your hand in our design vision.
Level of Language Proficiency
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE required:
- BA or BS from an accredited Textile Design or Fashion Design
- Background in textile, clothing, accessories or product development
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES required:
- Spanish and English language abilities
- Proficient in Creative Suite software (Photoshop and InDesign, Illustrator is a plus)
- Ability to work on deadline and with a multicultural team.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Interest and enthusiasm for the Guatemalan backstrap loom, Mayan traditions and the opportunity to work alongside artisans
- Ability to work independently and keep track of multiple projects
Minimum Education Required