55 Exchange Place
SEO Scholars is a free eight-year academic program that gets talented, low-income public high school students to and through college.
SEO Scholars seeks ELA Instructors to help our 12th grade Scholars navigate the academic and social transition to college. Instructors will facilitate sessions that help students use analytical writing skills to reflect on the social, cultural, and economic transition into higher education. We are looking for passionate educators with a student-centered approach to teaching and learning.
- Teach a rigorous, inspiring curriculum!
- All lesson plans and all curricular materials are provided.
- High-quality professional development and training
- SEO provides professional development, individual coaching, and opportunities to engage with other instructors in a collegial, inspiring environment that encourages reflection and growth.
- Promote depth of understanding along with skill acquisition
- Instructors are considered thinking coaches and facilitators of learning who support students’ deep engagement with course content.
- Teaching Load - Teach classes of approximately 20 students (approx. 4 hours of teaching per day).
- Attendance & Punctuality - Commit to teach on all scheduled days of programming, arrive to programming on time (30 min before first class), and attend all meetings as scheduled by staff.
- Careful Preparation – Read and annotate all lesson materials prior to teaching.
- Instruction - Follow the required lesson plans and meet lesson objectives. Meet criteria for rigorous instruction.
- Feedback – Provide feedback on student drafts by established deadline.
- Abide by all SEO Procedures and Policies.
Fall Semester classes take place on the following Saturdays: Oct. 13, 20; Nov. 10, 17; Dec. 1, 8, 15.
In addition to Saturday classes, instructors will remotely provide feedback on student writing.
This class will continue into the Winter/Spring 2019 Semester, so preference will be given to instructors who can teach both semesters. However, teaching both semesters is not required to apply for the position.
Saturday classes will be at Long Island University (Brooklyn) in Downtown Brooklyn.
The ideal candidate:
- Expertise and depth of knowledge in writing (particularly analytical, academic writing) and providing feedback on student writing
- Skilled in leading text-based discussions
- High school and/or college teaching experience and a genuine love for teaching
- Passionate about student learning and dedicated to students’ success
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Energetic, reflective, and conscientious teacher looking to join a supportive and diverse community
- Flexible and reliable
- Motivated and inspired by SEO Scholars’ mission
- Proficient with Google Drive and has familiarity with Google Classroom
Our instructors begin at an hourly rate of $25, and it increases as they continue with us.
Minimum Education Required