3601 E 1ST ST
KIPP LA Public Schools is a non-profit organization that operates free, open-enrollment, college-preparatory public charter schools serving students in South, Southeast, and East Los Angeles. KIPP LA’s mission is to teach the academic skills, foster the intellectual habits, and cultivate the character traits needed for our students to thrive in school, college, and life. Through the success of our students, KIPP LA's team and family will serve as a model of excellence and collaborate with others to raise the quality of education in Los Angeles.
KIPP LA currently operates 15 schools and serves approximately 6,500 students. Our team is expanding rapidly; over the next five years, we will more than double the number of students we serve.
- KIPP Through College’s High School Placement team is responsible for guiding the matriculation of KIPP LA students into high schools that will prepare them for success in college. The High School Placement (HSP) Counselor will work closely with staff, students, and families at an assigned KIPP LA middle school, providing quality advising and programming. The HSP Counselor will report to the Senior Manager of High School Placement and work alongside five other HSP Counselors who also support families throughout the region. S/he will collaborate with other KIPP LA staff to develop and foster a college-going culture amongst KIPP LA middle schools.
High School Exploration, Readiness & Application Process
- Conduct advising sessions with students and parents/guardian
- Coordinate student participation in academic enrichment and placement programs
- Develop and coordinate effective application processes for families and staff at school site; provide hands-on support with high school applications
- Lead student and parent education at school site, focused on high school exploration, readiness, and application processes, including monthly High School Readiness sessions for students
- Facilitate high school exploration opportunities and programs for students and families
- Track and maintain accurate student application data in regional database
- Cultivate authentic communication and rapport with families through regular communication, accessibility, and a strength-based approach
- Maintain regular and effective communication with School Leaders, school staff, and regional HSP team to collectively support students and families
- Collaborate with school staff to foster strong parent engagement and college-going culture within the school community
- Build and maintain positive relationships with high school administrators, counselors, admissions staff, and community organizations on behalf of KIPP LA
- Bachelor’s degree is required
- Minimum of 2 years experience teaching, advising, or working with families in a middle school, high school or college access setting
- Spanish fluency is required
- Experience working in communities historically underrepresented in higher education
- Knowledge of the high school landscape in Los Angeles
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and build relationships with diverse stakeholders
- Excellent communication skills and keen attention to detail
- Ability to work evening hours and weekends as necessary
KIPP LA Public Schools is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation/gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
KIPP LA strives to ensure that our careers website is accessible to all, including individuals with disabilities. If you require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process due to a disability, please contact us. You can find our contact information on our website, http://www.kippla.org/. Information will be sent to a talent acquisition representative who will provide assistance to ensure appropriate consideration in the hiring process.
- Very competitive compensation package inclusive of a generous benefits package
- 100% of healthcare premium costs covered by employer, dependents added at 50% of cost
- KIPP LA life insurance
- 401(k) plan with up to 6% match by KIPP LA
- Voluntary Benefits (Pet Insurance, Supplemental Life, Accident, Short Term Disability, etc.)
- Generous time off program includes 22 holidays, sick leave and vacation
- Other great benefits (Flexible spending account, EAP, tuition reimbursement for dependents, etc.)
Level of Language Proficiency
Fluency in Spanish is preferred, but not required
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please use the link provided to apply for the role.
The link is http://bit.ly/HSPC2018