1991 2nd Avenue
DREAM Charter School, a rigorous, K-8 public charter school in East Harlem, is seeking a dynamic and engaging educator to serve as a Music Teacher. DREAM Charter School's mission is to prepare students for high-performing high schools, colleges and beyond through a rigorous academic program that develops critical thinkers who demonstrate a love of learning, strong character, and a commitment to wellness and active citizenship.
DREAM is part of a larger community based organization (formerly known as Harlem RBI) serving over 2,000 East Harlem youth by providing free, high-quality summer and after-school programs to youth ages 5-22 years in an intensive multi-year commitment that connects youth and families to age-appropriate programs and passionate professional staff over time.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Teaching and Planning
· Create and implement a year-long plan and individual unit plans for music instruction;
· Coordinate cultural events including field trips to enhance classroom instruction and overall appreciation of the musical arts;
· Create assessments that will successfully measure performance;
· Serve as content-matter expert for school in music;
· Assume responsibility for the participation and effort of scholars within classroom;
· Abide by school-wide protocols for documenting all syllabi, lesson plans, assignments, rubrics, etc.;
· Work closely with the elementary school music teacher to ensure the K-8 music program is aligned;
· Lead the middle school modern band and support the choir;
· Revise curriculum and teaching methods based on measurable data.
· Work with Social Work team to create individual behavior plans for select students;
· Abide by school-wide practices for behavior management and individual behavior plans;
· Take ownership over the classroom management with the mentality of “How can I improve my implementation of our systems, while always assuming the best in my scholars?”
School Culture Responsibilities
· Work with Leadership team to analyze data, revise practices, norm on team-wide initiatives, and discuss individual scholars with a solutions-oriented mindset;
· Create systems for students for exceptional effort and growth, both academically and behaviorally;
· Regularly communicate scholars’ progress towards goals with families;
· Attend and be an active participant in all professional development (school-wide or team-based) opportunities;
- Take part in weekly one-on-one feedback meetings with Academic Dean to discuss observation feedback, role-play pedagogical strategies, analyze data and/or refine curriculum map.
· Bachelor’s degree required;
· Master’s degree or higher preferred;
· Appropriate New York State certification in subject area preferred;
· At least three years of Music teaching experience strongly preferred;
· A desire to make a difference in the lives of our students, families and community;
· A commitment to working with diverse populations of families and students, including those at risk of educational failure;
· Bilingual (Spanish) preferred.
DREAM salary is highly competitive with the New York City Department of Education and other charter schools, and is based on experience and qualifications. All DREAM teachers receive a comprehensive benefits package, including health and dental insurance, a 403(b) retirement account, life insurance and access to social services through our Employee Assistance Program.
Minimum Education Required