1110 Bates Avenue
Position: Development Assistant
Type: Part-time until approx. March 2019 (with possibility of extension thereafter)
ABOUT SILVERLAKE INDEPDENENT JEWISH COMMUNITY CENTER
Silverlake Independent Jewish Community Center is a leading center for education, arts, and culture on the east side of Los Angeles. We are a home for culture, ideas, and belonging through our core programs, including our early childhood education center, Jewish Learning Center, East Side Jews (our young adult community), community programs, and through partnerships with individuals and organizations throughout Los Angeles. Our approach is grounded in Jewish values of inclusiveness, learning, and community; we celebrate an expression of Judaism that welcomes people of all backgrounds. To learn more about us, visit www.sijcc.net.
SIJCC strives to practice and champion inclusiveness, and we aim to honor the diverse strengths, needs, voices, and backgrounds of all members of our communities. Candidates from traditionally marginalized communities are especially encouraged to apply.
The Development Assistant will support the Development Director in developing and implementing fundraising campaigns, events, and messaging strategies for SIJCC’s core constituents. This person will primarily manage the donor database, oversee gift recording and acknowledgements, and support fundraising events.
This is a part-time role, approximately 20 hours per week, until about March 2019 to provide support while one of our colleagues is on leave. There’s a possibility that this role may continue beyond that time or grow into a full-time role depending on organizational needs.
The Development Assistant reports to the Development Director and plays a key role in our Center’s fundraising efforts. You’ll work closely with the Development Director to achieve the annual budget goals, all while making an impact on the SIJCC community. Your efforts are crucial to the success of the Center. You’ll assist with planning and executing fundraising events, input gifts, process acknowledgments, and pitch in to our fundraising efforts wherever needed.
This role is perfect for an individual who is a self-starter and enjoys jumping in head first to solve a problem or take ownership of a project. This person is excited to learn, and there will be a lot of opportunities to do so! The ideal candidate likes to dive in deep to explore data, enjoys tracking and analyzing numbers, feels a strong sense of responsibility, and takes pride in achieving set out goals. A careful eye with attention to detail, and a cheerful and pleasant disposition when relating to donors, community members, or fellow staff will be central to your success in this role. Does this sound like you? We encourage you to apply!
· Ensure integrity of database, detect and correct, or make recommendations to rectify inconsistencies and inaccuracies in data entry.
· Assess and streamline data-entry processes and enhance reporting through identifying appropriate fields for data entry.
· Complete regular database updates to reflect event attendance across all of SIJCC’s events and programs as well as regular updates to ensure the database is accurate.
· Create, run and modify reports as needed.
Gift Processing & Acknowledgments:
· Process all gifts to SIJCC.
· Support staff in reconciliation of funds and address complex gift issues.
· Maintain and update written gift recording and acknowledgement procedures.
· Manage supporter lists and ensure timely acknowledgement of all gifts and sponsorships.
· Oversee process as acknowledgements are signed by staff and board members, collected and mailed.
· Manage annual tax letter mailing in January to all supporters.
· Work with Communications Associate and Development Director to create fundraising event registration pages and update fundraising-related webpages on our site.
· Track event attendees, input information in database and pull progress reports as needed.
· Support Development Director and Events Manager with event production.
· Brainstorm ways to grow fundraising events, annual fund and targeted funds. Research best practices and offer suggestions.
· Research constituents’ information, such as employer and employer’s gift matching policy, address, connections in the community and more.
· Support Development Director with materials for grant application and reporting deadlines.
· Leverage relationships with program constituents to support development plan
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
· Hourly wages will be commensurate with experience.
· We anticipate this position will be approximately 20 hours per week.
· This position is time-limited and will end approximately March 2019.
Level of Language Proficiency
· Outstanding computer skills, including mastery of Microsoft Office applications and mastery of web-based software
· Minimum 2 years’ experience in an office environment
· Ability to make frequent changes of routine and pace of activity due to unpredictable demands without loss of efficiency or composure
· Self-starter; can take initiative and ownership of a task from beginning to end
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills
· Excellent interpersonal skills
· High school diploma
· Familiarity with Donor Perfect, Salesforce, or another donor database
· Familiarity with Constant Contact or another e-marketing software
· Experience working in a nonprofit organization
· Associate’s or bachelor’s degree in communications, nonprofit management, business, or relevant field
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter in PDF format to email@example.com.
In the cover letter, please:
· Explain your interest in this position
· Describe how your experience and background fits with the requirements for this job
· Mention how you heard about this opportunity
Silverlake Independent Jewish Community Center is an equal opportunity employer.