Details: Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
District of Columbia
The Society for Research in Child Development (SRCD) is one of the world’s leading authorities in the field of child development. Our mission is to advance developmental science and promote its use to improve human lives. We are seeking a media-savvy, detail-oriented self-starter to serve as Media Relations and Communications Associate.
Responsibilities: The Media Relations and Communications Associate will be part of a small communications team dedicated to increasing the visibility and impact of SRCD. He/she will work to enhance the effectiveness of SRCD’s press and publicity functions, ensuring that its materials receive optimal and increasingly robust media placements. Specific responsibilities are listed below.
- In conjunction with internal SRCD teams, manage the press release cycle for SRCD’s flagship journal, Child Development and other publications.
- Identify and develop opportunities for media coverage of SRCD materials, members, leadership, announcements, and initiatives.
- Ensure SRCD protects and promotes its image to the media in a proper, coordinated, and consistent manner.
- Cultivate and enhance collaborative working relationships within the press and broader community.
- Develop relationships with national and regional press contacts to ensure SRCD’s reputation is promoted and to deflect criticism if necessary.
- Prepare media reports and other information to highlight media placements.
- Gather and disseminate timely information about coverage to internal and external stakeholders.
- Strategize for -- and oversee -- press at SRCD events, including a major biennial conference.
- Detect media relations issues as they emerge and address them directly (with SRCD Leadership)
- Assemble press materials as needed.
- With other members of communications team, compose, edit, and proofread SRCD literature and marketing materials.
- Write articles for SRCD’s monthly electronic newsletter.
- Assist in communications efforts related to the marketing and staffing of events.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree plus at least 5 years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience developing and implementing media strategy and tactics, including pitching, staffing media interviews and advising others on media relations.
- Experience managing media logistics for events.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
- Strong organizational skills and an attention to detail.
- Ability to juggle several projects at once and work well under tight deadlines.
- Ability to work using own initiative.
- A friendly, approachable and confident manner.
- A flexible and committed approach to the job.
The Society for Research in Child Development is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or disability.
SRCD offers a generous benefits package which includes: health, dental, retirement, paid time off, and a transportation subsidy.
Minimum Education Required