District of Columbia
IFPRI seeks a Social Media and Communications Associate to join the media team in the Communications and Public Affairs Division. The successful candidate will support the promotion of IFPRI and its research through social media and new media outlets, helping to reach key new audiences through these platforms. The individual should be very familiar with major social media platforms, strategies for creating and sharing compelling content on them, and creating reports based on analysis of the data available. An ability to translate academic research into clear language and engaging story lines is a must.
The successful candidate will work closely with the Manager of Media Engagement to identify opportunities to promote IFPRI research and researchers through social media, with the goal of growing IFPRI's social media presence both quantitatively and qualitatively. S/he will also work closely with the media team and visual design team in creating products based on IFPRI work that are tailored to various social media platforms and the formats they provide for sharing content. Other major responsibilities include writing blogs, op-eds, and press releases based on IFPRI research, and tracking IFPRI's social media and news media profiles.
Based in Washington, DC, this position is a non-exempt, one-year, fixed-term, renewable appointment.
The Social Media and Communications Associate will:
- Coordinate the posting of content to IFPRI's various social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn to grow IFPRI's profile on these social media platforms both quantitatively and qualitatively.
- Work with the media and visual design teams to create compelling visual and written content for social media based on IFPRI work and events, taking advantage of new and emerging platforms and features for sharing content.
- Live-tweet key messages from IFPRI Policy Seminars and other high-level events featuring IFPRI researchers.
- Assist with the creation of social media toolkits for key IFPRI events and outputs.
- Collect, analyze, and share social media metrics on key IFPIR products and campaigns.
- Assist with writing media materials such as press releases, opinion articles, blogs, and other content.
- Work with the Manager of Media Engagement to support media outreach campaigns, press events, and other activities through social and traditional media.
- Use Meltwater to track news media mentions of IFPRI researchers, work, and events.
- Update IFPRI website with significant news media mentions and newsworthy content.
- Manage the general IFPRI inbox to ensure requests research the correct recipients.
- Work closely with the Manager of Media Engagement and CPA team members to share information, plan for upcoming media events, and craft stories from research in a variety of mediums.
- As needed, travel internationally and domestically to various conferences and events to provide media and communication support.
- Work closely with IFPRI research divisions to ensure their work is represented accurately and appropriately on social media, and their own engagement on social media platforms is supported.
- Bachelor's degree in Journalism, Communications, Economics, Environmental Science, or related field, or four years of relevant professional experience
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills. Demonstrated ability to write clean, concise, engaging copy, including press releases, stories, and social media content of highest quality on deadline
- Comfort with social media tools and working within the fast-paced environment of social media
- Ability to communicate complex research results in a concise and engaging fashion -- orally and for a variety of platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and others.
- Ability to format content tailored to specialized platforms and formats
- Ability to work under pressure and within teams
- Ability to work independently and in interdisciplinary and multicultural teams
- Travel – 10% of time (domestic and international).
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Click on the following link to access the Social Media and Communications Associate job application: