The Market Manager is responsible for the set up, maintenance and tear down of the market. It is a physical, hands-on and roll-up-your-shirt-sleeves position that works outside, rain or shine, in close collaboration with the Market Director, Market Assistant, and market-day volunteers. This role is ideal for someone looking to learn about farmers market management, and who wants to support Queen Anne Famers Market’s (QAFM) mission to build community, support farmers, and champion local.
Key Responsibilities - “WHAT” of the job
Health, Safety & Security:
· Provides a healthy, safe and secure market environment.
· Ensures compliance with all federal, state, and local regulations.
· Directs individuals proactively, whether or not under direct supervision, when necessary.
· Addresses and reports injuries and accidents immediately.
· Assists the Market Director with health and safety checks.
· Sets up and tears down each market.
· Manages the market grounds and oversees recycling, composting and waste programs.
· Manages Information Tent including SNAP/Fresh Bucks program.
· Oversees at-market merchandise sales.
· Supports Market Director with vendor check-in, compliance and checkout.
· Trains, directs, and retains market-day volunteers.
· Tracks market-day performance metrics.
· Attends QAFM Board meetings and other meetings, as needed.
· Adheres to QAFM financial and cash-handling standards and procedures.
· Monitors and achieves all assigned budgets.
Advocacy, Marketing & Development:
· Supports PR, Event and Development Initiatives, as needed.
· Builds strong relationships with key QAFM stakeholders, including market-goers, volunteers, staff, local businesses, community leaders, city officials and property owners bordering the market.
· Oversees market when Market Director is absent.
· Takes responsibility for other assigned projects and tasks.
· Develops knowledge, skills and abilities to become a Market Director.
· Understands responsibilities will evolve as QAFM’s needs change.
Key Skills – “HOW” of the job
· Treats everyone under the sun with respect and dignity (even on cloudy days). We are a diverse bunch.
· Communicates simply and effectively (without losing your personality).
· Is a go-between to resolve conflicts while keeping your cool and staying calm (and without letting anything get you down).
· Connects the dots to solve problems creatively, efficiently and effectively.
· Brings a drive and passion for farmers markets, QAFM, building community and the Queen Anne neighborhood.
· Brings people together behind a common goal, inspiring teamwork and a positive market environment.
· Organizes and juggles lots of different deadlines, priorities and tasks (often at the same time and on the go).
· Executes with a strong attention to detail (including with money) even when there are lots of distractions.
· Operates efficiently and productively, making big things happen with limited time frames and resources.
· Finds ways to do things better, easier, faster and/or cheaper.
· Works happily and effectively independently as well as on a team (and with other teams).
Key Requirements - You have the ability to:
· Work in an outdoor environment in adverse weather conditions.
· Lift 50 pounds safely.
· Have a current/are able to obtain a King County Health Department Food Handlers Permit and First Aid/CPR Certification.
Compensation and Benefits
QAFM offers competitive wages of $20-$25/hour (DOE) from May through October with responsibilities designed to take 10-12 hours per week (primarily Thursdays from noon to 10:00 pm).
QAFM is Seattle’s only independent, community-run Farmers Market. It operates from June 7 through October 11 from 3:00pm to 7:30pm in the heart of the Queen Anne neighborhood on W. Crockett Street between Queen Anne Avenue North and 1st Avenue West. Learn more at http://qafma.net.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Email resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line “Market Manager – [your last name]” by 11:59pm Friday, April 27, 2018.
QAFM is an EEO employer.