Details: Competitive, based on experience
About the Role
New Classrooms is seeking a skilled writer to serve as our Grants Manager. Reporting to the Deputy Director of Development Operations, the Grants Manager will be responsible for writing grants and other written content to support the External Relations team’s fundraising goals and grant deliverables. The person in this role will support the identification of new opportunities through cultivation and lead the proposal writing including reporting and collateral materials.This position will also work closely with the CEO and our Growth and Expansion team.
New Classrooms has been recognized through funding by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, and Bezos Family Foundation, among other leading foundations. Additionally, New Classrooms has secured support from prominent, high net worth individuals across the country. Click here to learn more about our supporters.
This is an exciting period for New Classrooms, and the External Relations team is instrumental in helping position the organization for future growth in partner schools across the country. The External Relations team aims to raise $15M in national dollars in FY19 and will continue to increase revenue targets, particularly for institutional contributions, over the coming years. This goal is part of a three-year campaign to raise $48.5M for New Classrooms’ strategic plan. We are well on our way to reaching this ambitious goal and seek a team member who is energized by the opportunity to be part of this effort to build out our pipeline of institutional donors and prospects. This is a fantastic position for someone that wants to be part of something big and to build relationships with high-caliber philanthropic partners in a collaborative and fast-paced organization.
- You have exceptional writing skills and high degree of intellectual curiosity.
- You can synthesize complex information into clear and compelling narrative for various audiences.
- You can work independently but also have a strong track record of collaborating in small groups and across larger teams.
- You are a self-starter with the ability to take initiative, ask for feedback, build relationships, and maintain deadlines.
- You are excited to support the growth of an innovative organization that’s changing the educational landscape.
- You embrace change and roll with ambiguity. You’re excited to roll up your sleeves and get exposed to a variety of tasks on a fast-moving development team.
What You Would Do
- Write proposals for new and renewal funding from national and local institutional philanthropic partners.
- Maintain the reporting process for current grants, including tracking deadlines, writing narrative reports, and working with members of the program team to analyze data and report on project activities.
- Research and build a pipeline of prospective funders and grant opportunities, including individual, foundation and corporate funders.
- Collaborate with staff to write concept papers describing new initiatives and partnership opportunities.
- Partner with program and academic teams to understand and articulate New Classrooms’ multifaceted model.
- Prepare necessary collateral materials to support fundraising initiatives.
- Work with the External Relations team on special projects as needed.
What We Are Looking For
- 2+ years of professional experience in grants and proposal writing preferred. Candidates without a development background, but with extensive writing experience will be considered.
- Exceptional writing skills and high degree of intellectual curiosity.
- Demonstrated success writing proposals and reports to private foundations. Experience raising money from national foundation partners preferred.
- Comfort with working with numbers and explaining and interpreting budgets and data analysis preferred.
- Strong time management and organizational skills with demonstrated ability to meet firm deadlines.
- Demonstrated experience thriving in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment.
- A strong work ethic, supported by commitment and excellent follow up and follow through.
- Willingness to “pitch in” and work as a team player on a spectrum of activities from supporting initiatives administratively to contributing to and executing strategy.
- Strong desire to work in a highly collaborative, dynamic, fast-paced start-up environment.
- Adaptable to changing environment and circumstances.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality or sex.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
Minimum Education Required