135 North Mission Road
Organizational Background: Proyecto Pastoral was founded in 1986 to empower the Boyle Heights community through grassroots projects in education, leadership, and service. Proyecto is a highly effective community-based organization that focuses on building residents’ leadership to create change in their community. Our initiatives include: the Guadalupe Homeless Project, an emergency shelter and clothing distribution center for recently immigrated men and senior aged women; IMPACTO, a multi-faceted youth development program; Early Childhood Education Centers, focused on preparing children 18 months to 5 years old for Kindergarten; and Comunidad en Movimiento, focused on civic engagement and leadership development. Proyecto Pastoral is the backbone organization for Promesa Boyle Heights, a cradle to college/career initiative. Proyecto Pastoral serves nearly 6,000 children, youth and families.
The Youth Program Director is a senior level management position and functions as part of the leadership team. The Director is responsible for the administration, oversight and evaluation of k-12th grade youth programs that serve the youth and families. IMPACTO runs a total of 7 programs at four sites including three school-based programs and the Pico-Aliso Recreation and Community Center (serving more than 500 youth year-round). The Director reports to the Executive Director, and supports and implements the mission, vision and values of Proyecto Pastoral. The Director has 7 direct reports, and oversees a total staff of 16-20.
Program Development and Management
- Implement the IMPACTO Logic Model and Program Plan for 7 programs (after-school, recreation & sports, mentoring, volunteer recruitment and academic case management) located at 4 sites;
- Implement all elements of a quality youth programs, as outlined in the California Quality Program Standards, and ensure that program strategies are aligned to best practices in the field of youth development and education.
- Develop and manage the program budget, regularly tracking and reconciling expenses;
- Develop and manage a comprehensive schedule and transition plans for all programs;
- Manage contractual agreements by ensure program implementation is aligned with budget expectations;
- Work with organization and program staff to develop youth and parents to effectively engage in community organizing campaigns in partnership with CEM and Promesa BH;
- Work with staff to implement strategies that engage parents to develop as educational advocates, facilitate access to community resources, and support positive parent-child relationship building;
- Serve as an active member of equipo and Proyecto leadership team, by participating in and facilitating strategic planning subcommittees that further the organization's growth in the areas of education and youth work;
- Actively participate in and provide leadership in collective impact initiatives that help further the organization’s strategic goals, such as Promesa Boyle Heights and Building Healthy communities.
- Identify, hire, and supervise IMPACTO staff (including external vendors and consultants), motivate staff and foster a team approach to high-quality and innovative service;
- Develop staff capacity and work with staff to develop the program, culture and practices that builds youth leadership through ones-on-ones, monthly Coordinator meetings, quarterly staff meetings, retreats, and professional development;
- Model appropriate youth development practices, and continuously challenge and support staff to raise standards;
- Recruit and place volunteers including parents, caregivers, and community members in program spaces.
- Ensure a safe, inclusive, welcoming, and respectful environment;
- Monitor IMPACTO performance against desired outcomes and milestones by overseeing the implementation of the program evaluation plan, including data collection, entry and analysis to assess program impact and improve student and parent outcomes.
- Build strong relationships and facilitate regular communication, planning sessions, and team meetings with school-based administrators, staff, and teachers to strengthen programs and troubleshoot challenges;
- Establish protocols and systems for ongoing communication, including dissemination of relevant information and receipt of formal and informal feedback from all stakeholders;
- Submit weekly dashboard data, annual outcomes reports as required, as well as other
Financial and Resource Development
- Prepare reports to various stakeholders, i.e. community members, administration and funders, to articulate the program’s goals, objectives, and impact.
- Provide vision for short and long-term program growth strategies and work with the development team to identify and respond to funding prospects.
- Supervise volunteer coordinator’s strategies for outreach, development and management of volunteers and other in-kind resources.
- Build relationships with foundations, government, schools and community partners to strengthen dialogue, partnerships and learning related to supporting and improving educational achievement. This includes relationships with after-school programs, parent-school engagement and education reform efforts
General Proyecto Pastoral Employee Organizational Responsibilities
- Demonstrate enthusiasm for Proyecto Pastoral and a strong commitment to its mission, including its community building vision and founding Jesuit values
- Be an active team member supporting other staff members
- Participate in Proyecto Pastoral events and activities
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Demonstrated success leading a team and managing a program to achieve its goals.
- Enthusiastic team builder with strong leadership skills including: relationship building, strategic planning, verbal and written communication, organizational and time management abilities
- Ability to coach, train, and support diverse staff.
- Flexible, resilient, self-starter with a good sense of humor.
- Ability to work flexible hours (ie. evenings and some weekends).
- Ability to speak Spanish preferred.
- Licensed driver with reliable transportation and ability to meet organization’s minimum auto insurance requirements.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
- Minimum of three years of senior-level experience that demonstrates a sophisticated and deep knowledge of youth development principles and urban education best practices; and a minimum of 3 years of experience supervising and coaching staff.
- Have a broad knowledge of non-profit organizational operations, program development and the ability to provide strategic input as part of the agency leadership;
- Undergraduate degree required; an advanced degree in education or a related field is preferred;
- Adept at working in a complex organizational environment. A track record of success working collaboratively with diverse staff, parents/community members, schools and other youth service providers; and
- Experience with data collection and analysis.
Salary: Commensurate, depending on experience
Status: Full-time, Exempt with excellent benefit package, which includes health, dental, vision, vacation, sick days, holidays, and 401k plan
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Proyecto Pastoral is an equal opportunity employer. Women, LGBTQ and people of color are encouraged to apply. Spanish-speaking ability, experience working in nonprofits, and/or Boyle Heights lived experience is a BIG plus.
Interested applicants should send resume and cover letter, including compensation history of past 5 years to email@example.com. Only emailed applications will be accepted, please indicate “CEM Director of Community Organizing position” in the subject of the email.