P.O. Box 32159
The American Civil Liberties Union of New Jersey is hiring a Digital Communications Associate to spread awareness of the ACLU-NJ’s work through a variety of platforms, with a special emphasis on social media, video, audio, visual design, and web-based communications.
The ACLU-NJ, headquartered in Newark with a full-time staff of about 20, works in every corner of our state to defend the principles of civil rights and individual liberties. The Digital Communications Associate reports to the Communications Director.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Social media posting and content generation
- Help manage the organization’s social media platforms by drafting posts, posting daily, maintaining a social media calendar highlighting the ACLU-NJ’s ongoing work and issue-oriented campaigns, soliciting social media topics, and live-posting or live-streaming important events.
- Strengthen the presence of the ACLU-NJ on current social media channels and expand the ACLU-NJ’s presence into new platforms.
- Help plan social media-specific campaigns, create graphical content, and coordinate with staff across departments to generate leads on upcoming posting.
- Create posts in response to important breaking news in coordination with other staff.
- Plan and maintain weekend and evening social media posting.
Social media interaction
- Use social media as a platform to lift up allies, conduct grassroots advocacy, strengthen relationships with journalists, and engage supporters of the organization.
- Read messages and coordinate with other departments as relevant for purposes of legal intake, press requests, potential coalition partners, and speaking requests.
- Look for stories relevant to ACLU-NJ work and connect with people potentially interested in sharing their story to advance civil liberties.
- Monitor, interpret, and report analytics of social media and web, using them to improve content and messaging.
- Monitor and stay on top of social media trends, as well as training fellow staff in best practices.
- Help coordinate strategic use of ads.
Multimedia and web
- Create and edit graphics, videos, and other media, both in advance and in response to news.
- Update website, curate online content, and seize on opportunities to present the ACLU-NJ’s work in compelling ways using web-based tools.
- Work with freelancers and ACLU colleagues to create content, along with finding and vetting new freelancers to work with.
- Manage and archive digital assets and content, as well as maintain physical devices and technological tools.
Other communications functions
- Write and edit content for social media, email distributions, and other materials, and other duties as needed in both new and traditional media.
The ACLU-NJ offers a comprehensive compensation and benefits package, commensurate with experience and within parameters of the ACLU-NJ compensation scale. Excellent benefits include paid vacation, sick time and holidays; medical, vision and dental insurance for staff members, their dependents and spouse; life and long-term disability insurance; and 401(k) plan with employer match.
Level of Language Proficiency
Skills and Experience
- At least 2 years’ experience in online nonprofit communications, social media management, digitally-oriented journalism, or similar field.
- A flair for writing and a keen eye for editing, including copy editing, editing for tone, and big-picture edits.
- Knowledge of online platforms, and ideally video production and editing skills, graphic design, and basic html, or equivalent technical proficiencies.
- Strong commitment to the ACLU’s values, mission, and goals, along with an understanding of the organization’s range of civil liberties and civil rights issues.
- Expertise in social media and writing for the web.
- Ability to summarize complex legal concepts succinctly and compellingly.
- Strategic, creative approach to social media and multimedia channels to further advocacy.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, complete the form here: https://www.aclu-nj.org/?cID=1277. Application materials will also be accepted via postal mail, but electronic filing is strongly preferred. Resumes reviewed upon receipt. Position will remain open until filled.