Who we are
We are Survival, the global movement for tribal peoples’ rights. We’re the only organization that champions tribal peoples around the world. We help them defend their lives, protect their lands and determine their own futures.
Our work is preventing the annihilation of tribal peoples. We work in partnership with them. We give them a platform to speak to the world. We investigate atrocities and present evidence to the United Nations and other international forums. We support legal representation. We fund medical and self-help projects. We educate, research, campaign, lobby and protest. We won’t give up until we all have a world where tribal peoples are respected as contemporary societies and their human rights protected.
This is an incredible opportunity to play a defining role in the growth of Survival International’s North American office and be at the heart of increasing support in the region for our work. You will be responsible for developing a successful and dynamic international non-profit, from donor care and supporter relations to financial administration, accounting and governance.
The position has a huge amount of variety, and enormous potential for professional development. You will be accountable to the board. Please note that you would, until further recruitment is carried out, be the only staff person and therefore must be completely comfortable with working alone.
You will be highly versatile, multi-skilled, and able to turn your hand to a wide variety of tasks. You should be undaunted at the prospect of being the face of Survival International USA. You must relish the challenge of leading a small team to drive the organization’s growth in the USA.
It goes without saying that organization, efficiency, and reliability, are crucial. You will have a demonstrated ability to manage a team effectively with great motivation. We need you to be able to work independently with minimal supervision. You must demonstrate commitment to Survival International's vision, mission, and values.
It is crucial that you be highly numerate with flawless written English and extremely strong writing skills. Please do not apply unless you meet these criteria, which will be rigorously tested.
- Experience managing a team
- At least three years’ experience working in a field related to human rights and/or campaigning
- Solid IT skills (mail-merge, Excel formulae, etc.)
- Ability and readiness to work outside normal hours and to travel, if and when required
- Confidence and resourcefulness
- An enthusiastic and personable manner – energetic and committed
- Experience working with Salesforce or similar CRMs.
- Proficiency in French, German (preferred), Italian, Portuguese or Spanish
- Familiarity with US 501(c)(3) legal and practical administration
You will have overall responsibility for the growth of Survival International USA. As the office and staff grow, we expect you to delegate administrative tasks appropriately, leaving maximum time for you to dedicate to developing and pursuing strategies to grow Survival’s presence in the U.S.
- Strategy and growth (networking, outreach to new audience, etc.)
- Governance and legal (liaison with the board, state and federal reporting, etc.)
- Finances (banking, budgets, keeping accounts)
- Human resources (recruitment, payroll, etc.)
- Foundation management (grant writing, report writing, etc.)
- Supporter management (thanking donors, helping fundraisers, etc.)
- Office management (rent, bills, supplies, etc.)
What can we offer you?
When you join Survival International, you’re getting more than just a career: you’re gaining a unique opportunity to join one of the most exciting advocacy organizations around; it is not just a job. You will be working with an international team of passionate people across five other offices who really care about human rights and want to change the status quo.
You will play a crucial role in the shaping of Survival’s future in the USA which will in turn grow our international campaigns and increase our capacity to fight for the survival of tribal peoples worldwide.Being part of such a small (but growing!) team offers the opportunity for real diversity in your day-to-day work and the development of your role.
There is enormous potential for professional development given the diversity of this role and the significant amount of responsibility. This is a full time salaried position ($50-$55k per annum). Benefits include health coverage, generous vacation time and sick leave, and an annual expenses-covered trip to London.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please visit our job page (www.survivalinternational.org/info/work) to download the application form and send together with your CV and a 1-page cover letter to email@example.com.