Details: $58,600 to $68,600 per year depending on experience.
625 Andover Park West
Union Organizing Representative Job Announcement
POSITION: Union Organizing Representative. AFT Washington is excited to offer the opportunity to engage with educators and other professional public sector workers in Washington State. This position is responsible for supporting our locals and members in contract negotiation and enforcement, representing AFT Washington in our communities, and mobilizing our membership to move our campaigns forward.
Date Posted: August 30, 2018
Resumes accepted until: September 26, 2018
Annual Salary: $58,600 to $68,600 (DOE)
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the supervision of the President, and as part of the Organizing Team, the Union Organizing Representative will be responsible for providing contract management and representational support while applying the AFT organizing model in all work, including:
- Work with locals and member leaders to develop membership recruitment programs.
- Facilitate the identification, development, and mobilization of member leaders and activists through training and mentoring.
- Apply a robust worksite leadership and structure model in all work with locals and members.
- Assist with the development, planning, and execution of issues-based campaigns and long-term internal organizing.
- Build strong relationships between the union and stakeholder communities through increasing collaboration with student, family, and progressive community organizations.
- Support the grievance handling process including research, due diligence, and follow-up. Could act as union representation during arbitration, state or federal board hearings, or other formal dispute resolution proceedings.
- Support the contract campaign process in planning and execution.
- Assess needs of local as related to bargaining and provide relevant support level, e.g., advice, contract language development, chief negotiator, etc.
- A minimum of three years’ combined experience in organizing and union representational work.
- Familiarity with public sector union contracts.
- Experience in developing, planning, and implementing organizing campaigns.
- Experience in guiding contract actions and campaigns.
- Experience responding to grievance issues.
- Working knowledge of contract management issues and how they relate to strong internal organizing practices.
- Knowledge of state and federal labor laws.
- Commitment to AFT’s mission and to public education.
- Strong writing and public speaking skills with experience in communicating the union message.
- Active listening skills.
- Committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion and knowledgeable about strategies to dismantle institutionalized oppression.
- Willingness and ability to work evenings and weekends.
- Ability to travel locally and statewide. Must have access to a car and be licensed and able to drive.
- Proficient with computers and MS Office software.
- Be solutions-oriented and be willing to see opportunities and take action.
- Be independently motivated while comfortable working collaboratively as part of a small team.
- Familiarity with public education unions (teachers, classified, and professional staffs).
- Proficiency with digital outreach as an organizing tool.
- Awareness of and familiarity with the labor movement in Washington State.
- Strong ability to explain technical issues in lay terms.
- Experience facilitating leadership development.
- Knowledge of the Washington Public Employment Relations Commission (PERC) and the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB).
- High-quality medical, dental, vision, AD&D insurance.
- Employer-paid pension plan.
- 4 weeks paid vacation after probationary period.
- 12 paid holidays plus 2 floating holidays.
The first nine (9) months of employment shall be probationary.
To apply, please email your resume and three references to email@example.com
To mail or fax, please use the information below:
AFT Washington, AFL-CIO
Attn: UOR Position
625 Andover Park West, Suite 111
Tukwila, WA 98188
AFT Washington is an equal opportunity employer and encourages all qualified applicants to apply. The organization strives to eradicate all forms of oppression and achieve equity for all. Equity, diversity, and inclusion are essential organizational goals which are incorporated into the hiring process. All applicants will be assessed with consideration of their understanding of institutionalized oppression and strategies for addressing it.
This position is represented by Teamsters Local 117.
Minimum Education Required