633 Parsons Avenue
Position Reports to the Senior Program Manager
Local Matters, an Ohio-based non-profit with a mission to create healthy communities through food education, access, and advocacy, is currently looking to hire dynamic, motivated individuals for the position of Food Educator.
This position will report directly to the Senior Program Manager. The Food Educator will participate as a member of the Local Matters team to assist with the implementation of the healthful food and garden-based curriculum engaging youth aged pre-k through high school, adults and families. Local Matters teaches individuals about whole foods, ecology, nutrition, culture, and healthy living. People learn about healthful foods through hands-on food preparation.
Our curriculum teaches individuals of all ages a language to discuss whole, healthful foods, connects them to the cultural roots and traditions of their food, and offers hands-on preparation of the foods that are discussed in the classroom. Our garden program engages individuals through garden-based learning opportunities to increase their understanding of the food cycle (from seed to compost) in a more powerful way. The program provides people with hands-on learning experiences and interactions from planting to harvesting in educational gardens where they learn the importance of growing healthful food closer to home.
Qualifications & Skills:
· Strong classroom-management skills and enjoyment for working with children
· Willingness to assist Food Educators with implementing healthful food education curricula
· Willingness to work collaboratively with other staff, interns, and volunteers
· Strong organizational, time management and public speaking skills
· Basic computer skills, knowledge of Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, Publisher etc.)
· Familiarity with food preparation and basic gardening
· Strong communication and relationship-building skills
· Flexible, friendly, and positive
· Comfortable making adaptations to lesson plan based on the needs of the children
· Bachelor’s degree or minimum 2+ years of experience in related field
· Education and/or professional background in early-childhood education, nutrition, or horticulture
· Reliable access to transportation and willingness to travel within the Greater Columbus Metropolitan Area.
Position available immediately. The hours for this position are Monday- Friday, between 9:00am – 5:00pm with evening hour and weekend availability required. Schedule will vary based on the needs of the program.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
- Teach individuals of all ages the life skills of basic food preparation through hands-on interactive experiences.
- Educate adults and children about healthful, whole foods through classroom activities that frame the relationship between the food they eat and the health of their bodies.
- Encourage adults and children to eat healthful foods via what they learn in the Food Matters and Cooking Matters curriculum.
- Invite families and communities to learn about healthful foods and chronic-disease prevention by participating in classroom lessons, parent engagements, community workshops, gardens, and collaborative projects related to food.
Compensation, Benefits and Perks
Local Matters offers Food Educators a competitive wage and comprehensive benefits. All employees are given support to be their best, healthiest, and most productive selves with each employee also receiving access to a subsidized membership to The Fitness Loft, conveniently located upstairs from the offices.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To Apply: Please email (preferred) a cover letter and résumé and three references to Victoria Strickland at firstname.lastname@example.org. Local Matters is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Application deadline: Applications accepted through October 19, 2018.