The Mayor's Fund to Advance New York City is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization working with more than 30 City agencies and offices, 300 institutional funders, and 100 community-based partners. The Mayor's Fund and its partners advance initiatives that improve the lives of New Yorkers from all walks of life and across all five boroughs. In particular, the Mayor's Fund has made strategic investments to promote mental health services for all New Yorkers, increase workforce development opportunities for young New Yorkers, and meet the needs of New York City's diverse immigrant community.
The Mayor’s Fund seeks a Communications Manager to implement its communications and editorial strategy. They will produce, maintain, and curate all creative assets in support of the work of Mayor’s Fund. Moreover, they will partner with City Hall press and communications teams to produce press releases and op-eds, and to coordinate media events. The position reports to the Mayor’s Fund Chief of Staff.
The additional responsibilities of the position include:
- Leading the production of written and visual content such as newsletters, annual reports, website and social media content, official emails, and other content as needed;
- Engaging regularly with Mayor’s Fund team members to identify and produce stories about the work and impact of the Mayor’s Fund;
- Supporting the Mayor’s Fund senior staff in the development of an actionable and sustainable communications strategy;
- Developing the public messaging for the Executive Director by producing thoughtful and accurate prose for speeches, press release quotes, op-eds, and official emails;
- Planning and managing public events in coordination with City agencies, City Hall, and/or other nonprofit organizations in partnership with the Mayor’s Fund;
- Managing a library of photographs, videos, and graphics, and also maintaining the Mayor’s Fund communications guidelines to ensure consistent branding.
The successful candidate will join a fast-paced environment with an opportunity to shape the voice of the Mayor’s Fund in partnership with a dedicated and energetic staff. They should therefore possess the following:
- Superb writing skills with an ability to produce clean and engaging content on deadline;
- Excellent project management skills with an ability to manage multiple projects at once;
- Genuine curiosity about philanthropy, social entrepreneurship, and local government policies pertaining to New York City;
- Approximately three to five years of relevant communications experience at a nonprofit organization or government agency with proven experience crafting, pitching, and landing earned media;
- Competency with the most popular social media platforms, Google Suite, Microsoft Office Suite, and Adobe Creative Cloud;
- Some experience with basic photography editing and graphic design.
The Mayor’s Fund also provides its employees with a robust benefits package.
The Mayor’s Fund to Advance New York City is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Minimum Education Required