After-School Enrichment Specialist ( East Harlem & South Bronx)
- Job posted by DREAM (formerly Harlem RBI)
1991 2nd Avenue
DREAM, an award winning youth development organization, is seeking dynamic Enrichment Specialists, both individuals and contractors, to work in our nationally recognized elementary enrichment program. DREAM’s REAL Kids elementary program offers a unique environment focused on enhancing youth engagement in reading and learning while building life skills in nutrition and fitness, critical thinking, team building and leadership.
REAL Kids programming offers a supportive teaching environment that fosters creativity and innovation. Enrichment Specialists provide an encouraging learning environment that focuses on, but is not limited to, an artistic, cultural or academic activity. Some activities Specialists have led in the past include Mad Science, Hip-Hop Dance, and Art Club. Specialists deliver sessions to teams of 20 students (maximum) supported by two college-aged Group Leaders. Group Leaders aspire to work in education, youth development or social work. The Campus Manager and Instructional Coordinator are present to support all Enrichment Specialists inside and outside of the classroom.
Like all DREAM employees, the Enrichment Specialist should demonstrate a strong commitment to the mission and values of DREAM and should have substantial expertise in all areas of responsibility. Come join an organization that was recently recognized as one of the “50 Best Non-Profits to Work For” by The Nonprofit Times and as the winner of the Nonprofit Excellence Award – Silver Prize for Overall Management Excellence by the Nonprofit Coordinating Committee of New York.
Great opportunity for students, working artists, retired educators, and teachers!
Roles and Responsibilities:
· Design and deliver curricula for enrichment activities that are aligned to the DREAM values including respect, effort and teamwork;
· Embed literacy throughout all instruction;
· Lead activities that are engaging and age-appropriate for grades 2nd through 5th Grade;
· Prepare all materials before activities begin and facilitate a thorough clean up afterwards;
· Encourage youth to positively participate in activities;
· Serve as a role model while demonstrating professional behavior;
· Ensure the safety of youth during activities;
· NOTE: Enrichment Activities that require materials/resources will be given a conservative budget on an as-needed basis.
· Must be at least 18 years of age;
· High school diploma required & Bachelor’s degree/certification in related field preferred;
· Minimum 2 years experience working with groups of youth;
· Clear passion for and detailed knowledge of specialty area;
· Understanding of effective youth development strategies and conflict resolution;
· Exemplary social, organizational, verbal and written communication skills;
· Dedication to the program and ability to collaborate with colleagues to ensure a positive, productive youth experience.
· The REAL Kids after-school program operates from late September to early June.
· After-school hours typically follow the Department of Education calendar, up to Monday –Thursday from 2:30pm to 5:30pm, Friday from 1-4:30pm and vary depending on site location. Multiple schedules available.
· Hourly and commensurate with experience.
Minimum Education Required