Location: Washington, D.C.
Hostage is a non-profit, non-partisan organization that provides a range of support and professional services to hostage families and returning hostages during and after a kidnap, all delivered free of charge and independent of outside interests. Its founding partners are the James W Foley Legacy Foundation and Hostage UK, and it is based on the successful model of Hostage UK, which has been delivering this kind of support for over a decade. It is an independent US-based non-profit. It launched in April 2016.
Applications for the Fundraising Manager at Hostage US are ongoing. Please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Applications that do not include a cover letter will not be considered.
Hostage US is seeking a full-time Fundraising Manager to join its team based in Washington, D.C. Reporting directly to the Executive Director and in support of board members, this role will be responsible for managing and delivering the fundraising program and associated activities for Hostage US. The role offers the opportunity to make a tangible impact on the vital mission of Hostage US, working with its talented and highly motivated team. This is a new role and there are considerable opportunities to grow with the organization. Hostage US is committed to supporting staff development.
The Hostage US fundraising program incorporates a range of elements: individual donors, corporate donors, corporate sponsors, fundraising and revenue generating events around the country, online campaigns, and grants.
This position will have the following responsibilities across all areas of fundraising and revenue generation:
- Work in collaboration with the Executive Director to refine and enhance the existing fundraising strategy and goals
- Support the work of the Fundraising Committee of the Board of Directors, including attending all committee meetings, keeping notes and tracking actions
- Working closely with the Executive Director and board members, identify and develop a robust prospect portfolio
- Lead and manage the identification, research and solicitation of new donors (individuals, corporations, grants), including event sponsors
- Support board members in their fundraising responsibilities, allowing us to make good use of their networks
- Lead on the development of written materials in support of cultivation and solicitation activities, including proposals, letters and presentations for donors, briefing materials and contract reports
Fundraising and relationship development events:
- In collaboration with the Executive Director, devise an annual schedule of Hostage US fundraising and relationship development events in line with the organization’s strategy, mission and values
- Coordinate and deliver fundraising events, including our annual marquee event, annual donors’ appreciation dinner, and periodic regional income generating events
- Lead online fundraising activities, including our Giving Tuesday campaign
Donor communication and management:
- Develop and manage the donor management process
- Assist the Executive Director in maintaining relationships with key donors
- Input to organization wide communications activities to maximize their contribution to fundraising goals, including press, website, annual report, and other promotional materials
- Be responsible for all applicable administrative activities associated with the fundraising program, including gift acknowledgments, regular mailings, and maintenance of the donor database
We are looking for someone with the following qualifications and experience:
- A Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent experience) in a relevant field
- Minimum 3-5 years’ experience in fundraising, with a preference for fundraising events, events sponsorship, and individual donor cultivation
- Experience in events planning, logistics and operations
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel and donor management software
- Demonstrated ability to quickly gain the respect, support and trust of various constituencies, including board members, high net worth individuals, organizational stakeholders, strategic partners and the hostages and their families we support
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Demonstrated tact and diplomacy and respect for confidentiality
- Demonstrated ability to work well independently and to handle deadlines, pressure and changing priorities with good judgment
- Understanding of and commitment to the mission of Hostage US
About Hostage US
Hostage US a registered 501(c)3 non-profit organization. We ensure that Americans taken hostage abroad and their families receive the support and guidance they need to cope with the challenges a kidnapping. We provide support free of charge and on a fully confidential basis. We are an independent, non-governmental organization ready to serve the needs of hostages and their families. We are family first – family last.
We have a wide network of advisors and pro bono partners ready to deliver professional services to hostage families facing challenges including financial, legal, media, medical and mental health related challenges. Our people have a unique range of experience – we are former hostages and their family members, we are subject matter experts, we are former diplomats and those who have worked previously on kidnap cases, we are professionals from fields such as legal, financial advisory services, health and mental health. We are ready to support hostages and families wherever they are, and whatever their needs.
Hostage US is not involved in operational responses to kidnappings – we do not negotiate, raise ransoms or advise on any of these options. We cannot help to bring a loved one back, but we can make a frightening and lonely experience more bearable through care, support, information and access to the very best professional services.
Through our education program, we help organizations learn best practices to deliver high quality support to families and returning hostages. We offer a range of seminars, events and training for organizations whose staff have a risk of kidnapping.
For further information about Hostage US visit www.hostageus.org
Hostage US is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
How to apply
Send your resume and a cover letter detailing your interest in the role and mission of Hostage US and how your experience meets the requirements of the role, including salary expectations. Applications that do not include a cover letter will not be considered. We regret we cannot acknowledge all applications and will only contact candidates selected for interview.
Applications are ongoing. Please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org