3751 North Broadway
Bernard Zell is an independent Jewish day school for the 21st century where academic purpose, collaborative learning, and deep commitment to humanity develop engaged, confident learners and compassionate leaders for a stronger, more vibrant community and world. A pluralistic community day school, Bernard Zell welcomes students and families of varied religious beliefs and observance. The school combines Jewish learning and tradition with the best of innovative educational practice in a challenging and nurturing learning environment.
Job Summary and Scope of Responsibility:
Bernard Zell seeks a creative and innovative Physical Education instructor beginning in the Fall of 2018. The ideal candidate will have a passion for teaching student-oriented curriculum in a safe, nurturing environment. This position may include teaching responsibilities within Early Childhood (N-SK), Lower School (1-4), and Middle School (5-8).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Create and implement a comprehensive and innovative K-6th Physical Education program
- Prepare and execute thoughtful units of study designed to reach the different learning styles of the students in the classroom
- Regularly assess student learning using a variety of tools and means, while maintaining regular communication with parents and administrators about student progress
- Maintain a safe and engaging learning environment
- Consistently and clearly communicate with colleagues, administrators and parents regarding students
- Organize and manage a positive classroom grounded in a belief that all learning begins with attending to children’s developmental, social, and emotional needs
- Willingness to coach at least two seasons (three total) throughout the school year
- Attend in-service (August), exit-service (June) , weekly faculty Professional Development meetings (Monday PM), and desire to attend off site PD opportunities and conferences
● Bachelor Degree in Physical Education or related field required
● Master’s Degree in related field preferred
● Minimum three years teaching Physical Education as a lead teacher
● Experience teaching in K-8 or K-12 school preferred
● Experience coaching at the Middle School level preferred
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
● Collaborative, flexible teacher; able to work both within the PE department and across different divisions
● Clear communicator with students, colleagues and parents
● Demonstrated expertise in teaching Physical Education
● Demonstrated knowledge of a child’s physical, social and emotional development
● Strong organizational, planning, and leadership skills
● Ability and willingness to coach multiple sports, including volleyball, softball, basketball, soccer, or track and field
● Genuine love of learning and desire to work with children as a facilitator of learning
● Commitment to teaching to diverse learning styles and differentiated instruction
● Interest in outdoor, hands-on and environmental education
● Flexibility in teaching in different locations, including gym, field, fitness center, and classroom
Travel Requirements: Up to 5% of the time
How to apply: Send a cover letter and resume to Kyle Sheahan, Director of Athletics, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bernard Zell Anshe Emet Day School has a long-standing policy of equal employment opportunity for every person regardless of age, race, color, disability, marital status, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry or citizenship. Bernard Zell recruits, hires and promotes individuals without regard to these characteristics, and all staffing decisions are based solely on the qualifications of each individual and the legitimate educational needs of our students. Bernard Zell does not discriminate in working conditions, physical facilities or any other terms, conditions or privileges of employment, including transfer, compensation, training, promotion, demotion or separation based on age, race, color, disability, marital status, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry or citizenship. Bernard Zell seeks to provide a work environment that is free from discrimination, intimidation and harassment based on any of these characteristics.
Other Important Information and Benefits:
- All prospective employees must be able to clear a background check
- Work is generally performed onsite; Bernard Zell does not offer a telecommuting option
- The general workday is Work Day is 7:45 am - 3:45 pm but must be flexible to attend meetings beyond normal working hours
- Full-time employee benefits include employer-subsidized medical, dental, life and disability (short and long-term) insurances, 403b retirement plan, parking or public transportation, daily (kosher) breakfast and lunch, as well as optional insurances. Sick and flex (personal) days subject to length of tenure
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Send a cover letter and resume to Kyle Sheahan, Director of Athletics, at email@example.com.