Details: Salary will be competitive with other similar positions in nonprofit organizations.
Hunger Free America (HFA, founded in 1983 as the New York City Coalition Against Hunger) is a dynamic and highly effective national progressive anti-hunger advocacy and direct service organization that is based in New York City but works in all 50 states.
The Nation has written that the organization has grown into “one of the leading direct service and advocacy organizations on hunger and poverty in the nation.”
Our mission is to build a nonpartisan, grass-roots movement to enact the progressive public policies and programs needed to end domestic hunger and ensure that all Americans have sufficient access to nutritious food.
Our long-term goal is not just to ameliorate the problem, but also to build the people’s movement necessary to enact the economic and public policies needed to end hunger entirely. Given that hunger drains our economy and tears at our moral and civic fabric, we know that eliminating it will boost the nation both economically and spiritually. Towards that end, we’ve adopted the motto: “Ending hunger lifts us all.”
Hunger Free America is looking to immediately fill a new Manager of Communications, Development, and Digital Outreach position, which will be based in New York City and report directly to the organization’s CEO. This position is vital in helping Hunger Free America achieve its historic national objectives.
Working closely with, and reporting directly to, HFA's high-profile CEO, this position will be responsible for: coordinating HFA’s outreach to existing and potential financial donors, facilitating interactions with the news media, ensuring a strong web and social media presence, and managing the organization’s donor and media databases.
Specific duties for this position include:
Working with the CEO and Board of Directors to help write and implement a comprehensive and aggressive – but realistic – development plan to increase both unrestricted and restricted donations (with an emphasis on new online and digital outreach to small and medium donors).
- Working with the existing Manager of Institutional Giving and Evaluation in identifying, writing, and pitching foundation, corporate, and government funding proposals, and in submitting reports to funders.
- Facilitating interactions between the CEO and members of the Board of Directors with existing and potential funders (both institutional and individual).
- Helping develop an expanded individual donor program, including an expanded direct mail and/or online program and an increased utilization of fundraising events. Coordinating with other staff and volunteers engaged in fundraising on behalf of Hunger Free America.
- Maintaining database of existing and potential donors, and providing acknowledgments for all donations.
- Helping to create and implement a comprehensive, year-round communications plan at the city, state, and national levels in order to advance our progressive policy agenda.
Helping to research, write, edit, proofread, design, and distribute all of the organization’s media and communications materials, including: press advisories and releases, op-eds, letters to the editor, talking points, fundraising materials, research and policy publications, annual reports, monthly electronic newsletters, brochures, flyers, action alerts, blog posts, and Facebook postings.
- Creating content (written, graphic, audio, and video) for our web site and social media and ensuring our web site, Twitter feed, Facebook posts, and Instagram account are updated frequently.
- Maintaining up-to-date, comprehensive, and accurate media lists at the national, regional and local level. Sending pitch emails and direct messages, and making pitch calls.
- Arranging media coverage for events and media interviews for the CEO, other HFA staff, as well as for low-income Americans.
- Monitoring and compiling print, electronic media, and social media coverage of hunger, poverty, nutrition, obesity, and the politics surrounding those issues.
- Carrying out other duties as assigned.
Desired Skills and Experience
This is an excellent opportunity for a hard-working, creative, ambitious, go-getter who both wants to help Hunger Free America make history and advance their career by sharpening key skills and learning directly from top leaders in the field. Hunger Free America is seeking an accomplished professional with at least two years of successful experience in journalism, fundraising, corporate communications, political communications, or fundraising work. Candidates for this position must have excellent abilities to write clearly and persuasively – as well as to carefully edit and proof-read – under tight deadlines.
Ideal candidates will also meet as many of these requirements as possible:
- A bachelor's degree. Extra points for a relevant graduate or professional degree.
- Comfort and skill in asking people and entities for money.
- Willingness to roll up their sleeves to directly get the work (including nitty gritty list management work) done.
- Experience with managing a CRM database.
- Experience in media relations, fundraising, and/or web and social media production and placement.
- Basic graphic design and audio and video and production skills, including general familiarity with design and production software.
- A demonstrated commitment to, and passion about, Hunger Free America’s mission to end hunger nationwide.
- Stellar organizational multi-tasking skills and an ability to meet tight deadlines without fail.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively within a multi-disciplinary team.
Hunger Free America offers significant benefits to all full-time employees, including a strong health insurance plan. Employees also receive very generous vacation, holiday, and sick time. In addition, employees have opportunities for training and professional development in their work for one of the nation’s most respected and innovative anti-hunger organizations.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, submit a resume and a cover letter detailing your qualifications for this specific position to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hunger Free America s an equal opportunity employer. People of all races, sexual orientations, ages, gender identities, faiths, economic and social backgrounds, genders, physical abilities, and national origins are strongly encouraged to apply.