Basic Job Function
The Associate Legal Counsel will be the primary legal counsel for IFF’s commercial real estate lending program. The Associate will be responsible for drafting and negotiating agreements for our loans and will work with IFF staff throughout all steps of the process from approval to closing and, if necessary, post-closing matters (including workouts). This is an ideal position for an experienced, detail-oriented attorney who is looking for better work-life balance as well more rewarding work.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Draft all agreements and ancillary documents in connection with our loans, including commitment letters, loan agreements, mortgages, guaranty agreements, intercreditor agreements, subordination agreements and participation agreements.
2. Review title commitments, surveys, leases and other real estate related documents to ensure that there are no unacceptable exceptions and all necessary endorsements are obtained.
3. Work directly with IFF’s Managing Director of Credit and Policy to ensure that the loan documents are in full compliance with the approved terms.
4. Negotiate directly with borrowers’ counsel and finalize loan documents.
5. Work directly with IFF’s Closing Team to ensure all legal requirements are satisfied prior to each loan closing and funding.
6. Post-closing, assemble closing packages of all agreements and deliverables related to each loan.
7. Advise IFF’s Portfolio Management Team on any post-closing/workout matters that may arise, and draft any necessary documents, including amendments, forbearance agreements, reservation of rights letters and notices of default.
8. Assist the Chief Legal Counsel with other organizational matters as they arise.
9. Other duties as may be assigned.
1. High quality and accurate work product.
2. Timely completion of all work.
3. Responsiveness to IFF staff and clients.
4. Driving excellent and client friendly loan closings.
5. Finding solutions to issues relating to loan structure, collateral, documentation, and closing.
6. Efficient use of time and ability to manage multiple projects.
7. Cultivates a culture of openness in information sharing. Encourages open communication, cooperation, and the sharing of knowledge.
8. Models personal accountability that promotes ownership and engagement.
9. Builds and maintains effective working relationships with colleagues.
10. Values and supports differences in others, contributing to an inclusive work environment. Demonstrates the ability and willingness to communicate effectively with people of diverse backgrounds and experiences to create a collaborative, collegial, and caring community.
11. High level of satisfaction with both internal colleagues and external contacts.
Education: JD from an accredited law school.
Previous Experience: 2-5 years of experience at a mid to large size law firm drafting and negotiating legal agreements for commercial real estate lending transactions, with a track record of growth and increasing responsibility.
Special Knowledge & Skills:
1. Practiced in lending law, real estate law, and closing real estate financing transactions.
2. Proficient in general contract drafting.
3. Customer service oriented.
4. Experience with construction law is a plus.
5. Experience with tax credit financing (NMTC, LIHTC and HTC) is a plus.
6. Experience with real estate development is a plus.
7. Experience with non-profit law is a plus.
8. Extremely detail orientated.
9. Exceptional communication skills – written and verbal.
10. Highly professional and approachable demeanor with strong business ethics and standards.
11. Ability to think creatively about problems with a solutions based approach.
Unusual Requirements: Occasional evening and weekend work; possible travel throughout the assigned region.
IFF values equity, diversity and inclusion as part of its mission to strengthen nonprofits and the communities they serve. IFF is an equal opportunity employer.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Application Instructions: Please submit a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Associate Legal Counsel” in the subject line.