South Bronx United Inc. (SBU) is a sports-based youth development organization that uses soccer as a tool for social change. Its mission is to prepare youth to succeed in high school, college, careers, their community and beyond. SBU serves more than 1,200 boys and girls annually through programming on the field and in the classroom, including academic enrichment and tutoring, college prep, mentoring, leadership development, health and wellness, immigration legal services, and other individual and family supports. The majority of youth served are from immigrant families and many were board outside of the country. While the South Bronx has the nation’s highest poverty rate and low educational outcomes, SBU makes a significant difference in the lives of its youth. In the last five years, 100% of youth in the organization’s core program, the SBU Academy, have graduated high school, 92% have graduated in four years, and 94% have gone on to attend college.
South Bronx United seeks an Education Director, ideally starting in Summer 2020, to help the organization meet the academic needs of approximately 170 SBU Academy youth, ages 12-19. Nearly all of these students served are from immigrant families, about 30 percent were born abroad, and approximately one-third are English Language Learners. 100 percent of seniors in the program go on to graduate high school and 94 percent will enroll in college.
The Education Director will work collaboratively with program staff, coach-mentors, and volunteers to achieve the organization’s mission and impact youth outcomes. This position reports to the SBU Academy Program Director.
The Education Director's responsibilities will include to:
1. Develop and Implement Educational Curriculum
• Develop program curriculum for middle school workshops, afterschool enrichment classes, literacy instruction, and summer courses.
• Facilitate daily after school homework and academic support.
• Collaborate with key staff to establish to maintain program procedures and policies.
• Provide direct academic instruction and tutoring to individual students.
2. Advise and manage academic supports for 70-90 students.
• Analyze school transcripts, report cards, test scores, survey results, and academic documents to determine goals and interventions for students.
• Coordinate assessments and data collection.
• Set up individual and group advising meetings with students as needed.
3. Supervise, Train, and recruit tutors, coach-mentors, and summer program teachers:
• Lead orientation and tutor training sessions.
• Support volunteers in implementing sound educational practices.
• Lead summer intern trainings and serve as an instructional coach during the program.
• Manage several coach-mentors holding weekly Kid talks and performance reviews.
4. Coordinate special projects, events, and partnerships
• Manage relationships with organization’s education partners and networks.
• Coordinate special student trips, career days, and program visits.
• Support the implementation of the annual Literacy Day.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES
• The Education Director should meet the following requirements:
• Bachelors Degree; Masters Degree in Education preferred.
• At least two years of experience in teaching, youth development, or education program management.
• Experience designing curriculum, developing lessons, and delivering instruction.
• Knowledge of New York State and City school and higher education systems is a plus.
• Experience managing a team and implementing professional development.
• Experience working closely with middle and high school youth and families.
• Effective in multi-cultural and cross-cultural settings and understanding of individuals of all backgrounds.
• Excellent interpersonal, mediation, negotiation, and conflict resolution skills.
• Ability to work in a fast paced environment and with a young, developing nonprofit organization.
• Flexible and adaptable to work in a variety of settings
• Strong administrative, computer, and writing skills.
• Familiarity with the South Bronx community or other neighboring communities is preferred.
• Spanish or French proficiency is highly preferred.
Full-time, requires regular evening hours two days a week in alignment with programming.
ANTICIPATED START DATE
Please email salary requirements along with cover letter and resume.
South Bronx United Inc. (SBU) is a sports-based youth development organization that uses soccer as a tool for social change. Its mission is to prepare youth to succeed in high school, college, careers, their community and beyond. SBU serves…
Spanish or French proficiency preferred.
Spanish or French proficiency preferred.