CAMBA Legal Services, Inc. (CLS) is the legal services arm of CAMBA, Inc. CLS provides free civil legal services to low-income New Yorkers in the areas of consumer law, foreclosure prevention, immigration, housing law, and domestic violence assistance. In addition to providing direct representation and providing legal advice and counsel to thousands of clients, CAMBA attorneys also engage in legislative advocacy, impact litigation in both state and federal court, provide community education and offer expert training on a wide range of issues, services that allow members of our community improve their lives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The person filling this position is expected, under the direction of the General Counsel, to provide legal assistance to clients of CAMBA Legal Services; including the following:
- Representing clients in state civil court in, actions dealing with consumer collection defense, auto fraud, and
- breach of residential lease as well as affirmative cases involving General Business Law § 349, common law fraud, and rent overcharge.
- Representing clients in affirmative actions in federal court in actions under the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act, Electronic Fund Transfers Act, Truth in Lending Act, and Fair Credit Reporting Act.
- Conducting legal research; drafting legal memoranda, advocacy letters and other legal papers
- Litigating all phases of cases including defending consumer and foreclosure cases, engaging in motion practice, conducting trials, writing and arguing appeals, filing complaints, and writing amicus briefs.
- Identifying issues for impact or class action litigation or policy initiatives, including white papers and legislative advocacy campaigns;
- Advocating in various forums on important consumer issues, including drafting testimony for public hearing.
- Conduct client intake and assessment of client cases.
Minimum Education/Experience Required:
- Juris Doctor (J.D.) + Licensed to practice law in NY State.
- Must be in good standing with NY State Bar
- Ability to converse with clients in a language other than English preferred (Haitian/Creole, French, Spanish, Russian, etc.)
Minimum Education Required