About the Organization:
The world’s largest local philanthropy, UJA-Federation of New York’s mission is to care for Jews everywhere and New Yorkers of all backgrounds, to respond to crises close to home and far away, and to shape our Jewish future. Funds raised by UJA-Federation sustain the activities of local health, human-service, educational, and community agencies. Every day, these community-based organizations provide a multitude of services that improve and enhance people’s lives.
The Entertainment, Tech & Lifestyle division of UJA-Federation of New York seeks a proactive, self-motivated, and flexible Development Associate/Executive. The candidate will be responsible for fundraising and engagement across multiple portfolios and must be able to work independently, in a team setting and alongside professional and volunteer leadership. The activities of this division are fast-paced and high energy; therefore, this role requires a team-player with the ability to multi-task, trouble-shoot, and be a forward-thinker.
- Maintain and grow one or more fundraising portfolios related the media, tech and entertainment industries and various verticals within them (this may include tech, music, fashion, sports, theater, content, publishing, marketing).
- Identify, cultivate, solicit, and engage individual and corporate donors in support of campaign growth. Develop and implement appropriate fundraising strategies and techniques, including firm campaigns, one-on-one solicitations, fundraising events, phone sessions, and written communications.
- Educate donors and prospects about the mission and work of UJA through one-on-one cultivation activities, agency site visits, volunteer projects, missions, educational programs, fundraising events, firm/industry briefings and other meaningful activities.
- Oversee and manage multiple annual division fundraising events, including securing honorees, organizing event committees, leveraging existing leadership for fundraising opportunities, and interfacing with internal departments and external vendors.
- Work closely with leadership to strategize, grow, and strengthen each portfolio, including by cultivating donors, maximizing opportunities for relationship building, and engaging and leveraging lay leaders to increase dollars raised and expand donor base.
- Collaborate with staff across the organization – including fundraising and non-fundraising professionals -- to develop and implement strategies to maximize engagement with donors, their firms, and their families.
- Involve lay leadership in strategic manner, including to grow and strengthen each portfolio, by cultivating donors, maximizing opportunities for relationship building, and engaging and leveraging lay leaders to increase dollars raised and expand donor base. Develop and implement plan to assure quality lay leadership for upcoming and successive campaigns.
- Provide necessary professional support to appropriate lay committees. This includes agenda setting, preparing reports and presentations, writing meeting notes, and conducting follow up.
- Build positive UJA-Federation brand awareness among industry professionals.
- Assume additional responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree and 1-2 years’ experience in nonprofit fundraising, or sales experience in relevant industries required.
- Excellent interpersonal, written/verbal communication, and relationship-building skills
- Strong customer-service orientation.
- Team player with the ability to multitask and handle multiple competing priorities.
- Ability to work in a team environment while pursuing individual assignments.
- Creative, energetic, self-motivated, quick learner.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite.
- Should be comfortable and adept at communicating and presenting in person and via digital/remote platforms.
- Knowledge of issues facing the Jewish community and passion for UJA-Federation’s mission.