Details: Salary commensurate with experience
910 W. Van Buren St.
Job Title: Professional Learning Specialist
Reports To: Director of Curriculum and Instruction
Umoja Student Development Corporation (Umoja) is a premiere on-the-ground partner for high schools and districts focused on ensuring that all students graduate from high school equipped for college, career and life success. Umoja’s core competencies include college & career readiness, social & emotional learning and restorative justice–each of which Umoja believes is essential to students and schools reaching their academic and postsecondary goals. During the past year, Umoja provided 100 professional learning trainings to schools and districts throughout the Chicagoland area. For more information, please visit www.umojacorporation.org.
Umoja Student Development Corporation seeks a full-time Professional Learning Specialist who will facilitate professional learning to improve school cultures. The position requires strong facilitation, organizational, and relational skills. The primary responsibilities for the Professional Learning Specialist are to implement high quality experiential workshops for educators and youth development workers in schools and community based organizations. Umoja’s professional learning workshops fall into the broad categories of Social and Emotional Learning (SEL), Restorative Practices, and College and Career Readiness. These workshops are often implemented in the context of a long term partnership which includes customized coaching and also supports the implementation of Umoja’s Seminar or In School Disciplinary Intervention curricula. As a highly collaborative team, the Specialist will partner with colleagues on a daily basis to ensure that educators receive the most relevant and appropriate services to build their organizational and individual capacity. This position reports directly to the Director of Curriculum and Instruction.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Plan, prepare, and facilitate Umoja’s workshops, ensuring the highest engagement, quality, and impact
- Consult/coach school partners--both individuals and teams--using Umoja’s tools
- Build and maintain relationships with a wide variety of stakeholders and communicate by email, phone, and in person
- Actively and continuously cultivate new partners
- Stay current with professional learning research and practices to enhance professional learning offerings
- Other duties may be assigned
Desired Skills & Experience
- Extensive experience facilitating/teaching a variety of educational content
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build relationships with a wide variety of stakeholders
- Strong understanding of adult learning and the needs and interests of school-based staff
- Effective and compelling verbal and written communication skills orally and in writing
- Strong organization and follow-through skills
- Independent thinker and problem-solver, with strong ability to manage projects and time
This position requires a valid driver’s license, reliable automobile, insurance and good driving record. This is a full-time position with benefits. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Benefits of working at Umoja include:
- Being part of a team and organization that is results-driven, mission focused, and committed to work life balance.
- Opportunities for growth, leadership, and professional learning.
- Health and dental insurance
- Generous paid and sick time off package
- Parental leave after the birth or adoption of a child
For more benefits information, please visit: http://www.umojacorporation.org/about/careers/
Umoja Student Development Corporation is an equal opportunity employer and believes in fostering a diverse and inclusive staff. To do this, we not only recognize each individual’s diverse identity but also actively create and maintain a culture of inclusion where all Umoja employees feel involved, respected, and supported for their diverse identities. Candidates from communities that traditionally experience discrimination are encouraged to apply. Please let us know if there are any accommodations you require.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Umoja is accepting applications for this position on a rolling basis and will be filling the position as and if openings become available. Send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Attachments should be in Microsoft Word or PDF format only. Please include the job title in the email subject line.
NO PHONE CALLS