Details: $14.50 hourly based on qualifications, experience, and fit.
646 Malcom X Boulevard
New York City Mission Society helps children, youth, and families in New York City’s poorest neighborhoods transcend the ills of poverty and create a cycle of success for generations to come. We have a dynamic portfolio of education, workforce development, prevention, and youth development and community-building programs.
Title: Group Leader, Power Academy After-School Program
Basic Function: Facilitate implementation of program activities for a group of elementary school-aged after-school participants while creating a nurturing environment that fosters the creativity and educational advancement of the children.
Location: Various locations in Harlem and the Bronx (please indicate preferred location, if any)
Hours: Part-time: 15 - 20 hours per week, September through June
New York City Mission Society’s Power Academy is an after-school program dedicated to cultivating the personal growth and educational advancement of all of our elementary school aged participants. With a curriculum focused on academic enrichment, community service, cultural enrichment, the arts, recreation, and character education, Power Academy reinforces school-day learning in a safe and healthy environment. Programming is provided after school, on school holidays, and during the summer.
· Create a supportive and nurturing group environment for students.
· Accountable for the safety and well-being of students at all times.
· Supervise and monitor students during all program activities and transitions on-site and off-site.
- Facilitate academic enrichment programming for students in a group setting.
- Provide age-appropriate activities according to each site’s program activity schedule.
- Provide one-on-one homework help.
- Develop and implement lesson plans.
- Prepare materials and hand-outs for lessons.
- Keep accurate records on attendance, sign-out, accidents, and incident reports.
- Create and coordinate student performances as needed.
- Attend team and group supervision meetings.
- Interact with and report to parents on a daily basis at dismissal.
- Establish good working relationships with youth workers and other program staff and members of the school staff and leadership team.
- Attend professional development trainings as required by the agency and program contract.
- Other duties as assigned.
· Minimum Associate’s Degree in a related field or two years of experience working with students (elementary or middle-school aged) required.
· Must have strong interest in working with children.
· Must have the ability to work collaboratively with a wide range of program and school staff.
· Must have excellent communication (written and verbal), interpersonal, organizational, and administrative skills.
· Experience overseeing a group of young people required.
· Experience creating lesson plans preferred.
General Requirements: All staff are expected to be committed to the mission, vision, and values of Mission Society.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Apply: Interested and qualified individuals should forward their resumes with cover letter to HR@nycmissionsociety.org, or Fax to 212-979-5764. Include in Subject Line: Re: Group Leader, Power Academy.
Visit our website at www.nycmissionsociety.org.
Note: We are unable to accept phone calls. Applicants must meet qualifications stated above. Only applicants selected for further consideration will be contacted.