exalt’s mission is to transform the lives of court-involved youth by equipping them with the skills and experience they need to become self-sufficient members of society. We fulfill this mission by providing a cohesive, cohort-based educational internship program with four components: 1) a proprietary curriculum based classroom component; 2) paid internships in youths’ fields of interest; 3) post-internship education and career development services; and 4) an alumni network that provides ongoing access to resources. exalt partners with criminal justice agencies and schools to serve youth ages 15-19.
The Communications Associate will work closely with the Executive Director and Development Personnel to build on our existing online presence and support all external communications, including grant writing and newsletters. This position will also work to create campaigns, and facilitate the growth of exalt's marketing through content creation and developing narrative guidelines. The ideal candidate will be an excellent and expedient writer, a creative storyteller, savvy with various types of media, and is connected and passionate about exalt's mission.
- Develop strategy for growth of exalt's social media.
- Develop and maintain style guide, voice, and content across all external platforms.
- Create content for all social media channels, post and engage regularly.
- Create and manage communications calendar.
- Draft compelling stories for e-mail, social media, video, and website to support campaigns and stakeholder engagement.
- Create a story bank to allow staff to access stories on an as-needed basis.
- Conduct research to develop a comprehensive message guide that allows program and development staff to advocate on behalf of exalt’s mission to improve outcomes for justice involved youth.
- Work with staff to identify high-impact opportunities to increase the visibility of our work.
- Attend external events with Executive Director to take photos and capture key information to report out, and foster thought partnerships.
- Analyze and report out on key metrics
- Manage the email marketing and social media platforms for exalt's communications efforts.
- Support the preparation of any marketing materials, including but not limited to print materials, website updates, newsletter articles, tweets, blog posts, and press releases.
- Develop materials for strategic plan to be used by Board of Directors and Development Personnel to meet our annual fundraising goals.
- Assist in prospect research and proposal writing for both foundation and government grants.
- Extremely Strong Planning and Organizing Skills: Organizes work, sets clear priorities, brings structure to ambiguity, determines resource requirements, and seeks input and support from supervisors/colleagues; determines necessary sequence of activities needed to achieve goals. Can balance multiple projects at once.
- Communication: Clearly, effectively and efficiently conveys and receives information and ideas. Demonstrates excellent written, oral and listening skills.
- Cultural competence: Has strong familiarity with and understanding of or is committed to learning about exalt students’ histories, cultures and the socio-economic and political factors which have shaped those.
- Adaptability: Able to adapt quickly to new information and unexpected deadlines and obstacles. Approaches change positively.
- Technological experience: Familiarity with Google Suite, Salesforce, Mac’s, PC’s, Chromebooks. Photoshop, Adobe or media applications preferred.
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent work experience.
- Exceptional writing and storytelling skills.
- Proactive, with an ability to work independently.
- Strong interest in exalt’s mission, experience working within the criminal justice landscape a plus
- At least 2-3 years of experience with social media and communications or marketing.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite and Squarespace preferred.
People of color strongly encouraged to apply. exalt is an equal opportunity employer.