Details: Salary based on qualifications and experience
247 East 20th Street
LearningSpring School is a dynamic, progressive, child-centered, collaborative non-public school located in New York City, dedicated to educating students in grades K-8 on the autism spectrum. To learn more about our school visit our website http://www.learningspring.org.
We are looking for an Academic Director to start in November 2018.
LearningSpring School’s Academic Director is responsible for designing, scheduling and ensuring implementation of the educational program in adherence to NYS Education Department standards and any and all NYS and NYC requirements. The Academic Director, also is a part of our Therapeutic Crisis Intervention team. In addition, the Academic Director is responsible for supervision of LSS staff and ensuring a productive home/school connection.
- Supervise the academic curriculum on an ongoing basis. Observe and evaluate to ensure implementation of a supportive and challenging, developmentally appropriate, integrated academic and social skills curriculum.
- Serve as an academic resource person for Academic Curriculum Coordinators, Head Teachers and Assistant Teachers.
- Coordinate and ensure formal academic assessments for all students 3 times yearly, and provide alternate assessments if needed.
- Develop academic curriculum, which incorporates the social skills curriculum, and implement developmentally appropriate practice.
- Ensure ratios are maintained through the use of substitutes and floaters. Schedule coverage for extended staff leaves of absence.
- Participate in CSE meetings and impartial hearings.
- Coordinate NYS exams and alternate assessment.
- Manage all aspects of IEP and progress report development.
- Ensure parents have on-going, open communication about their child’s progress and concerns. This may include participation in parent conferences with staff members as necessary.
- Supervise and evaluate Academic Curriculum Coordinators and Head Teachers. Conduct and document staff evaluation on each staff member assigned.
- Maintain and update teacher evaluation rubric as needed.
- Maintain appropriate school documents and necessary student records as defined by NYSED.
- Conduct staff training needs assessment and provide input into professional development program. Conduct professional development and arrange for speakers as required.
- Attend and participate in all scheduled full staff meetings and parent meetings. This may require occasional evenings and weekends.
- Support students and staff during crisis situations.
- Support staff in creating proactive strategies for students.
- Master’s degree in Special Education.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience with demonstrated ability in classroom teaching, curriculum development, working with parents and supervision of staff.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience supervising classroom teachers.
- State Certification: Special Education Teacher required.
- State certification School Building Leader highly preferred (must demonstrate it will be obtained within reasonable amount of time)
- Knowledge of children’s physical, emotional and developmental patterns and developmentally appropriate practice.
Physical Requirements and Essential Functions:
- Must be able to manage students under your supervision. Must be able to lift, carry and hold students and classroom equipment.
- Must be able to maintain visual and auditory supervision of students.
- Must be able to accompany students to various parts of the building and outdoor space for meals, activities, fire drills.
- LearningSpring School provides medical, dental, and vision coverage to all eligible staff free of charge. Spouses and dependents of employees are eligible for medical, dental and vision coverage at an additional expense.
- Flexible Spending Plan
- Life and Disability Insurance
- LearningSpring offers a 403(b) Retirement Plan through American Funds. Employer contribution and matching opportunities.
- Professional Development
- Great co-workers
- Beautiful building
- Wonderful students
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply for this position please submit your resume with a cover letter, to email@example.com. The subject line of the email should indicate that you are applying for the Academic Director position. All applications must be submitted electronically, please do not call.