5500 Phinney Ave N
The zoo’s dynamic Philanthropic Events Team supports the mission and values of the zoo while helping cultivate stronger relationships with private donors, potential donors and the community. We are looking for a collaborative, organized individual to drive creative, logistical and fundraising success of the zoo’s annual Thrive Leadership Awards and other key philanthropic events! There is currently one full-time, benefited position available.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Thrive Leadership Awards: Thrive Leadership Awards is a key fundraiser for Woodland Park Zoo. Thrive has a current fundraising goal of $325,000; all funds contributed at the event will support our zoo wildlife conservationists and save species in the wild.
Your role in Thrive:
- Speakers, Honorees, Goals Coordinate and/or oversee all aspects of assigned Philanthropic Events including securing speakers, managing the youth honoree process, securing and coordinating award recipients, messaging, video development, audience development, prospect strategy, fundraising, and staff needs.
- Volunteers: Collaborate closely with Thrive chairs to drive enthusiasm and position for fundraising success as well as event volunteers.
- Sponsorship: Work in collaboration with Development staff including the Corporate Engagement Officer and the Associate Director of Corporate Engagement and Philanthropic Initiatives who will track sponsorship benefits and create the sponsor impact report. This position will interact with sponsors through the Co-Chairs connections and others and thus should steward them accordingly.
- Fundraising: Assist in day-of gift solicitation process, including the creation of collateral material, production elements and creation of a personal, face-to-face solicitation process.
- Meetings: Drive progress to goal meetings and provide necessary tools for the development team and act as liaison to the zoo’s executive leadership; organize and facilitate all meetings and projects. The Events team will drive the vendor related meetings such as Audio, Sound, Rentals, Horticulture, Valet Parking and excluding the venue, caterer and emcee.
- Banking: Work with Data Relationship Services on all banking and donation tracking needs.
- Vendors: Work closely with the Events department for items such as reserving venues, production set-up and strike, catering arrangements, booking vendors, etc. The Events department will drive vendor relations and the contract process excluding the venue, caterer and emcee.
- Budget: Create and manage event budget.
- Status Reports: Provide zoo colleagues and volunteer participants with timelines for activity, regular status reports, and administrative and creative support.
- Program, Collateral and Audience Development: Create program and talking points to include messaging, remarks, and collateral copy, and work closely with the Prospect Researcher as related to audience development needs. Manage all Thrive event collateral including Save-The-Date, invitation, website and other Thrive related items.
- Registrations: Maintain all RSVPs and participate in Thrive audience development.
- Post Event: Manage all event follow-up, including acknowledgements and event survey.
- Marketing and Social Media: Collaborate with the Engagement Team on marketing event to target audiences through traditional and social channels.
Jungle Party is Woodland Park Zoo’s signature fundraising event that includes a current goal of $1,800,000. The procurement goal is $500,000 - $550,000 in valued items and 500+ auction packages. During the off season, this position will assist in planning and assisting with stewardship and cultivation events.
Your role in Jungle Party:
- Procurement: Coordinate and organize Jungle Party annual auction procurement campaign, including soliciting auction items and in-kind donations, preparing procurement proposals, recruiting and cultivating auction items from major donors, and tracking and communicating campaign progress, writing descriptions and creating certificates. Create and manage unique bidding opportunities as the need arises such as a buy it now board. Procure approximately $500,000 - $550,000 worth of unique items to be auctioned off at the zoo’s annual Jungle Party. Ultimately, this position is responsible for 500+ auction packages.
- Auction Support:
- Organize and process 500+ auction items from board members, general public and zoo staff, including entering data in auction software, packaging of items, writing narrative and sequencing all items, and maintaining filing system as appropriate and tagging all items. Woodland Park Zoo uses Greater Giving software.Work with Events staff and Jungle Party volunteer team leads to manage display team and develop table layout inside tents and create attractive auction item displays; assist volunteer auditors to ensure all items have arrived and are in correct locations.
- Actively manage auction item redemption for bidders when requested; ensure delivery of all items prior to auction and coordinate pick up of auction packages with the bidders after the auction.
- Coordinate Jungle Party auction experience package redemptions and act as liaison between donor, major gift staff, animal management and events as needed.
- Create and market the online auction in greater giving and partner with the Jungle Party Supervisor on messaging of the emails as related to the online auction.
- Provide content for the live and super silent items for the catalog provide auction package content for the website.
- Maintain procurement budget to include wine donations, catering, airfare and other miscellaneous costs to bolster packages in the auction.
- Manage photography of tangible items and all photos including images to be uploaded to the Greater Giving software for the certificate auction packages and to be featured on mobile bidding.
- Procurement Volunteer Teams:
- Bolster procurement engagement vis à vis the Jungle Party Executive Committee. Collaborate with the Philanthropic Events Supervisor on this activity.
- Work collaboratively with the Jungle Party Executive Committee by supporting the Jungle Party Chair(s) in procuring auction items and assist with procurement related activities as it relates to the zoo’s Board of Directors.
- Direct procurement volunteers and oversee their solicitation process by providing weekly communication, solicitation materials and motivational tools; oversee procurement volunteer recognition to include thank you parties, gifts, etc.
- Provide weekly reports, share procurement materials, and make phone calls when appropriate.
In addition to your contributions to Thrive and Jungle Party, other duties include:
Related to Stewardship and Cultivation Events
- Given the make-up of changing calendar of events, plan all aspects or assist with the Development teams’ stewardship and cultivation event series as the need arises.
- As an example, these events include ZooTunes Reception, LionHearts Society breakfast and tour, Wild At Heart event series, corporate lunch and learns, corporate on zoo grounds events, and more.
- Assist in stewardship of new event attendees.
- Provide high-quality customer service to existing and potential donors; develop knowledge of zoo’s donors over time.
- Attend and participate in all staff and executive committees for events, and weekly team meetings when appropriate.
- Work evenings and weekends as required for position.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Experienced event planner particularly with experience in planning fundraising events.
- Experience with managing volunteers and/or committees.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to balance and prioritize multiple tasks and requests, and meet deadlines in a professional manner.
- Experience demonstrating excellent interpersonal and organizational communication skills.
- Ability to maintain a positive outlook internally and externally with regards to the success of Thrive and Jungle Party, development department activities, Woodland Park Zoo’s efforts and staff and volunteers.
- Ability to work well with team members and volunteers, with flexibility to help others while still accomplishing core tasks.
- Experience working with or directing volunteers preferred.
- Knowledge of a Development team structure, style and standards.
- Able to work well under pressure, balance multiple tasks and requests at one time, and learn and adapt quickly in a fast-paced and changing environment.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills; able to work successfully as a team member and independently.
- Enjoy working with the public and providing excellent levels of customer service to diverse customers.
- Able to work a non-standard/flexible/extended schedule, including weekends, evenings and holidays.
- Commitment to the mission of the zoo and the institution’s Core Values.
Bachelor's degree (B. A. or B.S.) from an accredited college or university; and two to three years of experience in professional development work and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Minimum of two years’ experience in development event planning experience also required.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Valid Washington State driver's license.
Applications are only accepted online through our Jobs page at www.zoo.org; no other forms of application will be accepted. Cover letter and resume are REQUIRED when applying for this position. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications are due prior to 12:00 AM on the posted Close date (i.e. by 11:59 PM the evening before).
Woodland Park Zoo is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on any basis including race, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, disability, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, or gender identity/expression.
Minimum Education Required