40 West 20th Street
The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is the nation's most effective environmental action organization. We use law, science and the support of 3.1 million members and online activists to protect the planet's wildlife and wild places and to ensure a safe and healthy environment for all living things. NRDC was founded in 1970 and our staff helped write some of America's bedrock environmental laws, including the Clean Water Act, and many of the implementing regulations; our water enforcement cases played a major role shaping current water policy throughout the country. Today, our staff of more than 500 lawyers, scientists, economists, policy and communications experts, and others, work out of offices in New York, Washington, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Bozeman, Montana, and Beijing.
The Network Engineer’s role is to ensure the stability, integrity, and efficient operation of the information systems that support core organizational functions. This is achieved by monitoring, maintaining, supporting, and optimizing local and wide-area networks, core systems, and associated operating systems. The Network Engineer will also be responsible for implementing and monitoring security solutions in order to manage and mitigate risks, meet business objectives, and the policies and procedures of NRDC. The Network Engineer will apply proven communication, analytical, and problem-solving skills to help identify, communicate, and resolve issues. In addition, this role is responsible for organizing highly complex activities for IT implementation of infrastructure project initiatives and security initiatives.
- Design, build, configure, implement, maintain and provide support of Cisco all networking products.
- Manage and support wired and wireless infrastructure.
- Install computer networks such as local area networks (LANs), wide area networks (WANs), the Internet, intranets, and other data communications systems.
- Install, configure, maintain and test server hardware, handle all phases of migrations and upgrades.
- Support anti-spam, antivirus, web filtering and remote access solutions.
- Identify and institute solutions for efficiency and to proactively improve the corporate infrastructure. Undertake routine preventative measures and implement, maintain and monitor network security.
- Develop, implement and follow system standards, policies and procedures.
- Conduct investigation and resolution of complex security problems.
- Understanding of good project management methodology.
- Provide 24 x 7 on-call support on a rotational basis.
- Maintain awareness of and evaluate forward-looking technologies.
- Create and maintain infrastructure diagrams and documentation.
- Ongoing knowledge sharing and peer training.
- Manage system back up.
- Act as an escalation point for matters concerning server and network infrastructure.
- Ability to work on multiple project timelines, deliverables, and information requests for all functions within the IT Department.
- Excellent communication and strong interpersonal skills needed to team well with peers, customers, PMO project managers, and vendors.
- 7+ years of direct engineering and design experience expertise in networking
- Cisco Nexus and access switches, ASA firewalls, ISE, Prime, FirePOWER, LiveAction, VMware, Citrix, PRTG, Skype for Business, Dynamics GP.
- LAN Knowledge, Proxy Servers, Networking Knowledge, Network Design and Implementation, Network Troubleshooting, Network Hardware Configuration, Network Performance Tuning
- Active Directory, MS Exchange and Office 365, VoIP, QoS.
- Group Policies, security configuration and OS patching.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or IT is highly desired.
NRDC is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity and expression, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, for positions based in San Francisco, CA we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
To apply, please visit www.nrdc.org/careers and upload your resume and cover letter through our online portal. We would like you to upload any additional papers or project work that you think would showcase your abilities. Please no phone calls, emails, faxes or in-person resume drop-offs. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you are having technical difficulty while applying, please reach out to Customer Care by dialing 1-800-899-4422.
For further information about NRDC, please visit www.nrdc.org
Minimum Education Required