152 Sterling Place
The Berkeley Carroll School seeks a dynamic social media & communications specialist to join its team. Successful candidates will possess current knowledge and experience with social media management and digital and print communications as well as an interest in the education field. This position requires a strong social media content creator and writer with exceptional organizational and interpersonal skills who can work efficiently while producing quality, detailed work.
As an internal reporter for the school, they will regularly attend and document school events and activities and then create and publish content for social media as well as the school's website and magazine. Many school events occur before 9am or after 5pm so the ability and willingness to attend them (with reasonable notice) is very important.
This position reports to the Director of Strategic Communications.
* Manage and curate the school's social media accounts - attend and document events & activities; create interesting, compelling content in the school's voice; and suggest content strategies targeted to the strengths and somewhat unique audiences of Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
* Website management – oversee homepage slideshow and manage specific pages/sections of the website
* Expand specific social media posts for publication in the school’s magazine
* Internal & external communications projects as assigned. This includes organizing and maintaining an internal photo bank as well as copy-editing and proofing various documents and communications collateral
* A Bachelors' degree and a minimum of 2 years of work experience in communications, marketing or a related field.
* Excellent writing and editing skills.
* Good social media photography skills and experience with taking video and live streaming on Facebook Live or a similar service..
* Demonstrated experience managing and curating a website/blog and social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter and YouTube). Knowledge of Wordpress or another CMS system preferred. Basic HTML, Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Premiere iMovie, Final Cut Pro or another video software editing program knowledge is a plus.
* Strong organizational skills, with an ability to successfully manage multiple projects, think out-of-the-box, and work under deadlines.
* Strong interpersonal skills. Ability to build relationships with multiple diverse constituencies.
* Ability to work some weekends, early mornings and evenings as needed (to attend events)
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested candidates should please send a resume, cover letter and two writing samples to Linda Adams at Ladams@berkeleycarroll.org. One of the samples should be a post and photo for our Instagram account about a fictional event at our school. (We will not publish these on social media or anywhere else). The starting date for this position is late September or October 2018. No phone calls please.
Berkeley Carroll is committed to an inclusive program and a diverse faculty and student body. Candidates with a demonstrated commitment to and experience with diversity, equity or inclusion work are especially encouraged to apply.
About the Berkeley Carroll School
The Berkeley Carroll School is an independent, nonsectarian, coed pre-kindergarten through 12th Grade day school in Park Slope, Brooklyn. The school is a creative and intellectual community where devoted teachers challenge and engage talented students. Its demanding curriculum and vibrant civic life prepare graduates for success in college and for the greater endeavor—a life of critical, ethical, and global thinking. For more information, visit www.berkeleycarroll.org