Details: Members receive a modest living allowance of at least $6,000 for serving a half term of service. Upon completion of service, Members may also receive approximately $3,047.50 to cover educational expenses.
990 Spring Garden Street
About Promise Corps
The mission of Promise Corps is to contribute to high quality schools by holding rigorous expectations of students, serving as college-going role models, and collaborating powerfully with teachers, parents, and the wider community.
The Promise Corps program offers the first partnership in the nation between two Promise Zones to join together in services for youth in high poverty communities. These Zones, located in Los Angeles and Philadelphia, are two of only three urban areas selected in the first round of the Promise Zone signature Obama Administration initiative in 2014. The project will target key goals of the White House My Brother's Keeper Initiative with a focus to ensure that boys and young men of color graduate from high school ready for college and career, and work their way into the middle class. Bolstered by public-private partnerships led by the Mayors of Los Angeles and Philadelphia, this AmeriCorps program will train and place College and Career Ambassadors (CCA) with the highest need students at Promise Zone high schools to prepare them for post-secondary opportunities. In Philadelphia Promise Corps is currently hosted at West Philadelphia High School, High School of the Future, Overbrook High School, and Sayre High School, with the potential for additional sites in the upcoming school year.
This AmeriCorps opportunity is offered as a 6 month service commitment that meet a community’s critical needs in education. In this role members will fulfill a half-term service opportunity in our schools across Philadelphia. Supporting communities’ critical needs in education, Promise Corps members dedicate 900 hours of volunteer service per term in exchange for leadership and career development, and a living stipend provided by our AmeriCorps grant. AmeriCorps is an exciting opportunity for service-minded individuals who are passionate about education and the nonprofit sector. For more information, please visit www.americorps.gov and www.promisecorps.com.
The College and Career Ambassador (CCA) will serve full time (completing 900 hours of service) over the course of 6 months, working closely with high school students and families to ensure that students graduate with strong skill sets, and develop awareness of paths and challenges related to post-secondary opportunities.
The Promise Corps members will work with students in grades 10-12, who have been identified as needing support. Each member will be assigned a host school and will work with guidance counselors, teachers and other school personnel to develop long and short term plans leading to post-secondary entry. Services begin with five introductory workshops for a baseline understanding of post-secondary options. CCA AmeriCorps members will conduct individual advising sessions with students and develop a plan that will lead to one of the five post-secondary options.
**SCHEDULE Monday through Friday 7:30 am – 4:30 pm. Additional evening and weekend hours as needed for events, school activities and additional service days and projects. Start date: 12/17/2018 End date: 5/15/2019**
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Post-Secondary Planning and Support
- Provide engaging small group workshops and one-on-one sessions to improve students’ knowledge of post-secondary options and requirements
- Will work with up to 50 students to ensure each has an Individual Service Plan
- Create programming in areas such as post-secondary education options, Four Systems of Higher Education, college application process, financial aid, and career exploration
- Work with school staff and teachers to implement the Individual Service Plan model and workshop series.
- Facilitate interest assessments to identify student interests and post-secondary options
- Maintain student information and records by tracking, logging and entering workshop/1:1 hours / time spent with students in database
- Develop field trips and events that include college field trips, providing financial aid application assistance and a graduation ceremony.
- Design, coordinate, and implement parent workshops at target school sites
- Provide tutoring and homework support under direction of teachers with a focus on STEM.
- Members will coach students around short and long-term academic goals by reviewing alongside students transcripts and report cards
- Work closely with partner teacher(s) and other school staff to identify the right supports for individual students
- Participate in school training sessions and meetings
Other duties include but are not limited to:
- Service project development
- Coordination of college and other campus visits for students
- Participation in member development, including but not limited to training sessions, professional development, and workshops
- Complete 900 national service hours over 10 months
- Attend “Swearing In” and “Graduation” ceremonies
- Maintain a commitment to understanding the Promise Corps program model, and current educational best practices
This position is part of the AmeriCorps service program. As an AmeriCorps member, you will serve your community through YPI’s Promise Corps. Members receive health benefits and personal days. Childcare assistance is available through AmeriCorps for those who qualify. Members may be eligible for student loan forebearance on federal student loans.
For more information, visit www.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps.
Level of Language Proficiency
Bilingual (English and Spanish) a plus.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please click here to complete the AmeriCorps Member application. If you are being considered for this position we will reach out via email with a screening form to complete prior to scheduling an in person interview. Interviewing via Skype is offered to any out of state applicants.