Position Category: Development
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Position: Philanthropy Officer
Reports To: Executive Director
EARTH University Foundation is a 501(c)3 public charity that provides financial assistance and other support for the programs and initiatives of EARTH University. The mission of EARTH University, a global institution located in Costa Rica, is to prepare leaders to contribute to the sustainable development of the tropics, and to construct a prosperous and just society. The University has 436 students from 38 countries and an international faculty composed of 40 professors with wide teaching and research experience. Currently, there are 2,230 graduates from 43 countries. Of these alumni, 82 percent have returned to their native countries and are making significant contributions. Students receive a degree in Agronomy and Natural Resource Management. EARTH’s ultimate goal is to provide students with the necessary skills and a unique vision that will enable them to return to their home countries, to serve as catalysts for environmental change, and to become leaders who make a lasting impact in their communities. EARTH’s development staff resides on campus as well as in the U.S.
The Philanthropy Officer reports to the Executive Director. S/he works to advance the mission, programs and vision of EARTH University through the identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of major gifts from individuals and institutions. S/he is responsible for a portfolio of major gift prospects. Together with the Executive Director, s/he will develop and implement strategic fundraising plans. S/he will strengthen existing donor relationships and develop new relationships with major prospects across North America.
- Identifying, cultivating, soliciting, and providing stewardship for a portfolio of major donors to sustain and increase EARTH University’s relationships with donors across North America;
- Developing creative strategies to secure funds to build EARTH’s endowment;
- Working with the Executive Director and the Director of Prospect Research to identify and determine the capacity of current and prospective donors, securing personal visits and developing relationships to ensure the Foundation has an active pipeline of engaged donors;
- Developing appropriate donor strategies and stewardship plans for the major donors in her/his portfolio in coordination with the manager of donor relations to ensure that each donor is kept informed in such a way that they understand the impact of their giving,. the short- and long-term objectives of the University, and to encourage additional support;
- Inviting major individual donors to visit the University;
- Working closely with the Executive Director and EARTH’s Development Office to establish fundraising strategies and integrate them with university and alumni initiatives; and
- Developing an annual work plan at the direction of the Executive Director.
SKILLS and QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree is required.
- A genuine interest in developing passionate and personal commitment to the mission and ideals of EARTH University and the ability to articulate its vision and programs in a compelling manner;
- Five to eight years experience working with major donors and identifying, cultivating, and securing gifts at the $5,000 and higher level, in particular experience in developing relationships with new donors;
- Initiative and independence in carrying out responsibilities;
- Ability and desire to work effectively with people of diverse backgrounds and promote a positive working environment, spirit of cooperation and flexibility to manage change;
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills, both written and oral;
- Capacity to motivate and solve problems with a high degree of integrity, ethics, and dedication to the mission of the University;
- Excellent organizational skills with an ability to manage multiple priorities and deadlines with accuracy;
- Detail-oriented, with strong analytical, and planning skills;
- Experience working with Raiser’s Edge or other donor management software;
- Knowledge of or interest in topics related to EARTH, including Latin America, environmental or agricultural education, and sustainable development (preferred);
- Willingness to travel domestically and internationally, approximately 50% of time including regular trips to EARTH University in Costa Rica ;
- A sense of humor is required and proficiency in Spanish is highly desirable.
Compensation will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
This job description/posting in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employee(s) will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an "at will" relationship. EARTH University Foundation is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please send cover letter and resume via e-mail to: Crystal Reardon, Development Operations Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org. Electronic materials only, please.
More information about EARTH University can be found at www.earth.ac.cr.