3601 E 1ST ST
KIPP LA Public Schools is a non-profit organization that operates free, open-enrollment, college-preparatory public charter schools serving students in South, Southeast, and East Los Angeles. KIPP LA’s mission is to teach the academic skills, foster the intellectual habits, and cultivate the character traits needed for our students to thrive in school, college, and life. Through the success of our students, KIPP LA's team and family will serve as a model of excellence and collaborate with others to raise the quality of education in Los Angeles.
KIPP LA currently operates 15 schools and serves approximately 6,500 students. Our team is expanding rapidly; over the next five years, we will more than double the number of students we serve.
- The College Match Counselor supports KIPP LA alumni in their pursuit of higher education. S/he will serve as the primary point of contact for a caseload of alumni in grades 9-12. The counselor's role is to support alumni on the path to and through college using KIPP’s framework of “College Match” counseling. This role includes significant student outreach to promote college access events and advising sessions. This position reports to the College Access Manager or Associate Director of KIPP Through College.
Alumni Support & Advising
- Serve as an advisor for a group of KIPP LA alumni and monitor their progress toward high school diploma and college matriculation
- Develop meaningful relationships with students, parents, teachers, and high school counselors
- Provide regular check-ins with students (and/or parents) using phone calls, emails, in-person meetings, social media, and high school campus visits
- Provide individual support for alumni in areas such as: study skills, referrals to tutoring/counseling, on-campus support, goal-setting, coaching, problem solving and encouragement
- Keep students and families apprised of college admission requirements and monitor eligibility
- Keep students and families informed of deadlines and resources related to the college, financial aid and scholarship application processes
- Assist alumni to register and prepare for college entrance exams
- Support alumni to register for college prep, summer programs and enrichment opportunities
Marketing, Research & Data
- Input and track data using the Alumni Database
- Research and stay current on higher education programs, trends and issues with student impact and make recommendations based on best practices and research
- Assist in developing profiles of high schools based on performance, achievement results, and college-going rates
- Assist with data collection for annual report and program evaluation
- Maintain documentation for program files and evaluation of program activities
- Prepare marketing, publicity materials and reports as needed.
- Plan and execute co-curricular initiatives as assigned. These may include: application events, college-readiness workshops, socials, and parent workshops
- Implement KIPP Foundation initiatives around college access and success including: summer program nominations, data drives, Match Matters
- Work with KTC team to identify partnerships that could provide additional support and services to alumni such as tutoring, internships, and college placement services
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 1 or more years of experience providing direct advising support to high school students
- Familiarity with the challenges and opportunities for first-generation college students
- Strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
- Spanish/English bilingual preferred
- Ability to connect with people from diverse ethnic, socioeconomic and professional backgrounds
- Professional demeanor with strong initiative and creativity
- Ability to travel to school sites across Southern California
- Flexibility to multi-task within an ambiguous, fast-moving, entrepreneurial environment, while also driving toward clarity and solutions
- Flexibility to work evening hours and weekends as necessary
- Very competitive compensation package inclusive of a generous benefits package
- 100% of healthcare premium costs covered by employer, dependents added at 50% of cost
- KIPP LA life insurance
- 401(k) plan with up to 6% match by KIPP LA
- Voluntary Benefits (Pet Insurance, Supplemental Life, Accident, Short Term Disability, etc.)
- Generous time off program includes 22 holidays, sick leave and vacation
- Other great benefits (Flexible spending account, EAP, tuition reimbursement for dependents, etc.)
KIPP LA Public Schools is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation/gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please use the link provided.