162 Boylston Street
GrubStreet, a fast-growing and dynamic nonprofit literary center with a $3.5 million budget, seeks an experienced and energetic Major Gifts Officer. The Major Gifts Officer is responsible for ensuring a strong partnership between GrubStreet and major donor supporters, shepherding major gifts from donors, coordinating and conducting major asks, ensuring maintenance of data, ensuring appreciation from staff and board, and ensuring communication and relationship-building. As we begin a capital campaign this fall, the Major Gifts Officer will work closely with the campaign coordinator, ensuring coordination between that effort and the annual fund/Write the Future ongoing campaign. The Major Gifts Officer reports to the Director of Development and works closely with the Development Manager, Executive Director, and other development staff.
- Design comprehensive plan for engagement of major donors in collaboration with DoD
- Conduct major gifts meetings by phone and in-person and work with development assistant to schedule meetings for DoD and ED
- Ensure major donors are thanked
- Conduct prospect research on an ongoing basis
- Create and update materials for major donors, including brochures, reports, website, and individualized materials
- Coordinate participation of board and volunteers in development committee activities
- Coordinate special major giving circles, including programming of events
- Assist with annual gala by coordinating sponsorships and overseeing fundraising during the evening
- Ensure tracking and analysis of major donor cultivation and giving
Essential skills, experience, and qualities:
• Bachelor’s degree and two years of relevant fundraising experience
• Experience and skills securing major gifts
• Enthusiasm for relationship-building with donors
• Extremely detail-oriented and organized
• Outstanding interpersonal skills, personable and warm approach
• Experience and skills producing donor appreciation events
• An appreciation for and comfort with the cooperative professional nature of GrubStreet
• Strong written and oral communications skills
• Experience with donor management software
• Proficient in Excel
Additional preferred skills and experience:
• Experience coordinating or assisting with capital campaigns
• Experience conducting prospect research
• Experience conducting annual fund efforts
About the Organization
GrubStreet, the largest creative writing center in the U.S., annually engages 5,000 students – both teens and adults – in programs that range from two-hour workshops to year-long graduate level seminars at our downtown location, in Boston neighborhoods, and on-line. Our teachers are working artists who bring the highest quality instruction and mentorship to aspiring storytellers. We also host a major writers’ conference each year and public storytelling events. The education and networks we facilitate foster a richer local writing scene, with a strong focus on increasing opportunities for writers of color, low-income writers, and teen writers. Our programs eliminate common barriers to participation in the arts and lifelong learning, and build community among participants.
Last year, we celebrated our 20th anniversary with a renewed focus on expanding access. We continue to increase scholarships and provide free writing programs (including bilingual classes) for adults and teens in low-income communities in Dorchester, Roxbury, East Boston, and Mattapan.
We believe that narrative transforms lives, builds bridges, and produces empathy. By rigorously developing voices of every type and talent, and by removing barriers to entry, GrubStreet fosters the creation of meaningful stories and ensures that excellent writing remains vital and relevant.
GrubStreet is an equal opportunity employer. We provide a competitive salary and benefits package and a dynamic, collaborative work environment.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
We aim to fill this position by November 30, 2018. Please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and please put “Major Gifts Officer” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted and reviewed until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.