Details: Will commensurate with experience
55 West 125th Street
The mission of the Upper Manhattan Empowerment Zone Development Corporation ("UMEZ") is to revitalize Upper Manhattan's economy and quality of life through business, cultural and workforce development investments. The communities we target for investment activity include Central, East and West Harlem, Washington Heights and Inwood.
Job Title: Assistant Controller
Reports to: Chief Financial Officer
FLSA Status: Exempt
Summary: Performing various general accounting functions for UMEZ and its subsidiary BRISC including: making journal entries; performing account analysis, preparing bank reconciliations; processing payments; preparing periodical financial statements etc.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: Include the following and other duties may be assigned.
- Collect bank statements and make journal entries for miscellaneous cash deposits, monthly interest income, bank charges and other cash transactions.
- Reconcile bank accounts, run bank reconciliation reports in separate accounting systems.
- Prepare monthly State Cash Report for government agency ESDC to disclose Operating Accounts, Initiative Funds and Loan Repayment accounts.
- Allocate and journalize Payroll and all other admin expenses covered by UMEZ for its subsidiary BRISC in separate systems.
- Record monthly amortizations for fixed assets and prepaid expenditures
- Perform all functions of Accounts Payable including payment processing, system maintenance, physical and electronic filing.
- Prepare outgoing wire request forms to various receivers and prepare bank transfer request forms within UMEZ and BRISC bank accounts as needed.
- Make cash and check deposits into a specifically designated bank account under the name of either UMEZ or its subsidiary BRISC.
- Perform monthly balance sheet account analysis
- Prepare periodical statement of functional expenses and the analysis of budget variances.
- Assist the controller with various project management functions including: preparing draw-down vouchers for grants or loans; recording incoming wires from government agencies to update the general ledgers of grant receivables; reviewing documented expenses submitted by grantees and analyzing life to date project revenue and expenditures.
- Assist the controller to electronically update and maintain various procedure manuals in Finance department.
Background and Experience:
- 3-5 years experience in the field of accounting
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Business Administration
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (oral and written)
- Proficiency in MS Excel and Word
- Preferably experienced in Blackbaud (The Financial Edge) and Quickbooks
- Community residence and/or familiarity with Upper Manhattan community preferred
- An energetic and resourceful person with a strong interest in community engagement;
- A self starter; a team player; a strategic thinker; a creative problem solver.
The benefit package includes medical, dental and vision insurance as well as a 401K plan.
Level of Language Proficiency
Bi-Lingual, English and Spanish, a plus but not necessary.
Minimum Education Required