Accountant, Finance + Operations
San Francisco, CA
Who are we?
Tipping Point Community works to break the cycle of poverty for individuals and families in the Bay Area. Since 2005, Tipping Point has raised more than $200 million to support the 1.3 million people in the Bay Area who are too poor to meet their basic needs. We leverage the resources and expertise of our community to invest in solutions that prevent poverty: a nurturing early childhood, strong education, gainful employment, and stable housing. We are laser-focused on metrics and hold our partners and ourselves accountable for results. Our Board covers 100% of our costs, so every dollar donated goes where it’s needed most.
Tipping Point’s core values are at the heart of everything we do and we look for individuals who share our commitments:
- We are one community. We believe that the responsibility for fighting poverty belongs to all of us.
- We serve. Our approach is humble and respectful. We exist to meet the needs of others.
- We get results. We are relentless in the pursuit of our goals. We hold ourselves and each other accountable.
- We are always learning. We are risk takers. We commit to facing our challenges as we support solutions that last.
What will you do?
We are seeking an Accountant enthusiastic about contributing to the financial efficiency and stability of an organization devoted to social change. The position reports to the Senior Director of Finance + Operations and is a member of the Finance + Operations team (FinOps), which ensures that the organization’s resources are managed effectively and that our employees have the tools and working environment they need to thrive.
- Support day-to-day accounting functions, including accounts receivable, accounts payable, and general ledger management
- Perform reconciliation of selected balance sheet, income, and expense accounts as part of comprehensive month-end close
- Serve as primary liaison between the FinOps and Development teams to ensure that contributions are recorded accurately and revenue numbers in Quick Books and Salesforce match
- Track and report restricted revenue and collaborate with the Accounting Manager to coordinate releases of restricted revenue
- Prepare and process weekly check runs and bank deposits
- Recommend, update, and implement sound fiscal policies, procedures and controls and ensure compliance with document retention polices
- Support completion of annual external audit by preparing assigned schedules and collecting pertinent documentation
- Complete selected schedules for annual 990 tax return
- Prepare and file State Charitable Registrations, Business Property Statement, Census Reporting, CA Statement of Information and other items
Who are you?
- You enjoy working with numbers and have knowledge of GAAP and FASB with a clear understanding of accounting principles, management accounting methods, government accounting policies, cost allocation procedures, and nonprofit fund accounting. You have a Bachelor's degree in finance or accounting, or an Associate's degree in accounting. You also have at least two (2) years of general accounting experience.
- You have strong communication skills. You are comfortable speaking and writing to a variety of audiences. You understand the importance of working collaboratively and sharing information with others.
- You are super organized. You are known for your keen attention to detail and ability to divide a sizable deliverable into more manageable action items. You are committed to meeting deadlines and have a high level of personal accountability for the quality of your work.
- You have a customer service mentality. You invest in people and recognize you are part of a whole. You learn from others, teach those around you, and truly care about the people you work with, leading to a better outcome for everyone. You identify opportunities for process efficiencies that strengthen our infrastructure and can adapt to organizational changes.
Nice to have*:
- Proficiency with QuickBooks
- Working knowledge of Adaptive Insights, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Google Docs, Box, and Salesforce, or a willingness/aptitude to learn quickly.
- Experience volunteering or working with non-profit organizations
*“Nice to have” really means just that; it’s entirely possible that you don’t have any of these and are still a great fit.
It’s not expected that any single candidate would have expertise across all of these areas — we’re looking for candidates that are particularly strong in a few areas, and have some interest and capabilities in others.
Ready to change your life? Apply now!
We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity company. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. Tipping Point will consider qualified applicants with arrest or conviction records for employment in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Minimum Education Required