3220 16th Street Northwest
District of Columbia
YouthBuild Public Charter School (YouthBuild PCS) is an alternative high school for young people seeking to transform their lives by re-engaging in their education in a non-traditional school environment. YouthBuild PCS prepares students for post secondary education and the workplace by offering, in English and Spanish, academic, vocational and workforce development programs. YouthBuild PCS believes that service to the community is an essential part of the transformative process. Therefore, students serve their community through volunteer projects and by creating housing for low-income residents in the Washington, DC metropolitan area.
A construction manager at YouthBuild PCS is responsible for creating a supportive, empowering environment. Oversee all aspects of the construction program, which include but are not limited to:
- Manage and supervise construction team and students on a construction worksite; ensuring proper OSHA health and safety regulations are being consistently followed and enforced;
- Provide on-site instruction of construction skills training and assessment for the students in the areas of demolition, rough framing, drywall, carpentry, green building, electrical, plumbing, painting, masonry and other applicable skills as per the NCCER and HBI-PACT Curricula.
- Assist in personal and vocational counseling and development of students’ leadership skills.
- Assist in the evaluation of students’ hands on knowledge and skills in construction and readiness for employment.
- Teach the proper use and handling of all hand tools, power tools, and equipment.
- Supervise all construction projects/assignments, including AmeriCorps member service projects, on the construction work-sites and activities performed by school staff.
- Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with YouthBuild PCS’s policies and applicable laws.
- Coordinate instructional planning with Head of School; supervise and evaluate the construction staff and conduct formal observations of instruction.
- Track assessment results and work with staff to update learning plans, as appropriate, for enrollees.
- Build partnerships with industry partners and DOL affiliates.
- Attend and participate in Leadership Team meetings, staff meetings, and other team meetings (e.g. Transition team meetings); meet with students on an ongoing basis to discuss progress.
- Play an active role in school-wide school improvement, PD, and program delivery meetings.
- Participate in community service projects in keeping with the service ethic of the school.
- Act as mentor and role model for students; maintain professional boundaries at all times.
- Promote the value of AmeriCorps service at the construction sites
Successful candidates will possess the following qualifications:
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Must be a skilled leader, construction manager, and experienced educator, with at least five years of supervisory experience.
- Must possess and maintain OSHA, HBI-PACT, and other necessary training certifications.
- Self-starter and team player, with the ability to motivate and mentor a multiracial and multicultural group of young people.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
YouthBuild PCS is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not allow discrimination with respect to employment or any of the terms or conditions of employment because of race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, sexual identity, marital status or religion.
Minimum Education Required