Details: Please provide your salary requirements
Title: Chief of Staff
Reports to: Executive Director/CEO
Location: New York, NY
About Phipps Neighborhoods:
Phipps Neighborhoods is a 45-year-old multi-service, anti-poverty nonprofit helping children, youth, and families in low-income communities rise above poverty. We work in South Bronx neighborhoods where we can address the greatest barriers to lasting success through education and career programs, and access to community resources. We’re dedicated to our neighborhoods for the long term, supporting individuals and families as they establish self-sufficiency. Our services create opportunities for people to thrive in every aspect of their lives.
Phipps Neighborhoods serves approximately 10,000 children, teens and adults in three key areas that we have identified as the best ways to systematically address the risk factors associated with poverty. Our School and Community Education programs include early childhood education, after-school programs, community school engagement, and summer camps for school age children. To help older youth begin careers, our Learning and Career Development programs offer high school equivalency preparation, English for speakers of other languages, college prep, and work readiness services. And, to help our community members address the barriers that limit their success, we offer Community Resources including resident support, financial counseling, free tax prep, assistance accessing benefits, and more. These services are funded by government grants and contributions from foundations, corporations and individuals.
The Chief of Staff reports to the Executive Director and serves as a member of a dynamic, innovative and talented Executive Team. The Chief of Staff works across departments to plan, coordinate and manage the execution of agency-wide strategies to support and sustain these efforts. He/she will also assist the Executive Director in working with management to ensure staff members achieve results that continue to drive the agency’s agenda.
The Chief of Staff also manages the collective impact partnership, South Bronx Rising Together (SBRT). SBRT is a collaborative that works to create a community that is college and career ready by leveraging the expertise of a network of families, educators, business leaders, community advocates and service providers to support the lifelong success of families and youth in the community.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Organizational Management and Strategy
● Support the Executive Director in planning, strategy and management of all aspects of the organization, including planning, coordinating and overseeing initiatives as directed
● Advise the Executive Director on organizational strategy, management initiatives, priorities, communications, and operations
● Identify opportunities to develop agency-wide systems that will increase the efficiency and effectiveness of the agency and manage the implementation of those systems
● Act on behalf of, and represent, the Executive Director as appropriate to internal and external constituents
● Drive implementation of current strategic plan, including development of benchmarks, analysis of progress toward objectives, leadership of staff in goal setting and monitoring, and presentation of plan to board and other stakeholders. Work closely with Executive Director to ensure that organizational initiatives and activities are in line with strategy and brand
● Design, develop and implement structures, processes, initiatives to support organizational goals/priorities, as identified by Executive Committee
● Support the Executive Director and work alongside management team members to ensure that staff successfully execute division and agency-wide goals
● Other functions and responsibilities as assigned by the Executive Director
● Strategically design programs that deliver on PN’s mission to help individuals and families achieve their long-term self-sufficiency
● Support planning and preparation for management meetings, executive team meetings and board meetings; create agendas and supporting materials
External Affairs, Partnerships and Policy
● Manage process to develop policy priorities and advance organizational and community priorities through engagement with city agencies and elected officials
● In collaboration with the development office, write proposals for public and/or private funding
● Evaluate opportunities to expand external partnerships and funding prospects and assist in the management of those relationships
● Work with and support the Executive Director and the communications team to develop and implement marketing strategies to increase awareness of the Community Impact model
Evaluation and Data
● Working with the Manager of Data & Evaluation, ensure the high quality administration of the agency-wide Salesforce database, identify assessments and other tools to monitor progress
● Model and champion the use of data to underpin the development and enhancement of high quality programs and service;
● Advise and manage the SBRT Director to reach population-level improvement in priority goal areas
● Work with all departments and all divisions to establish specific plans, deliverables and measurable objectives
● Oversee the development of the necessary infrastructure, systems and process - including continuous improvement and training - to support the vision of comprehensive, sustainable community impact
● Support the reporting process for lead SBRT stakeholders, including funders and partners
● A proven leader with a track record of success in leading change and innovation with demonstrated results and strong administrative abilities
● Ability to adapt quickly to change and work within a results-oriented team environment
● Inspire a shared vision and communicate that vision to the members of the management team
● Ability to adapt quickly to change and work within a results-oriented environment
● Demonstrated success developing and monitoring systems to manage both operational and programmatic work involving high levels of collaboration
● Demonstrated expertise in conceptualizing, developing, implementing and tracking program quality, performance, outcomes and impact
● Strong organization and interpersonal skills
● Exceptional oral and written communication skills
● Master’s degree in a related field strongly preferred, with 5-10 year progressive leadership responsibility required
● Enthusiasm, creativity, initiative, grace under pressure – and a sense of humor are a MUST!
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please follow these instructions carefully: forward your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. placing Chief of Staff in the subject line and apply through our portal at phippsny.org/careers
In your cover letter please outline why this position is of interest, exactly how your experience matches the qualifications stated and what you believe differentiates you from other candidates. Additionally, please provide your salary requirements. Submissions without cover letters and salary requirements will not be considered.