Details: City Bureau has a tiered compensation structure, including a fixed annual raise set at 3.5 percent.
City Bureau’s Documenters program is a critical component in City Bureau’s mission to involve the public in meaningful, informed discussions around issues through journalistic production and civic engagement. As such, the Documenters Field Coordinator resides at the intersection of City Bureau’s civic engagement strategy and its editorial production process.
In collaboration with City Bureau’s News Lab Director and Community Engagement Director, the Documenters Field Coordinator will coordinate and manage deployment of Documenters; manage production from Documenter assignments including content aggregation, analyzation and distribution; organize and develop multimedia skill trainings; and meet with community groups and community-based institutions in support of Documenters enrollment.
City Bureau is a startup and intentionally fosters a collaborative work environment; all staff are expected to contribute toward overall organizational goals. We expect all staff to uphold our Core Values.
We are seeking someone who:
- Has 2-5 years in relevant fields such as journalism, community organizing and/or election administration.
- Can manage a diverse group of people and give skills-based feedback
- Has a working knowledge of interviewing techniques, note-taking, mobile audio/video recording, basic mobile photography and social media platforms
- Has strong communications skills
- Is highly determined, organized and detail-oriented
- Is familiar with cloud-based database and content management tools (i.e. Google Docs, AirTable)
Not required but preferred:
- Possesses an understanding of journalistic ethics and municipal governance structures
- Familiarity with coding languages, including Python, CSS
- Familiarity with open source software such as Github
- Fluent understanding of web-based reporting tools
- Proficiency in non-English languages (specifically Spanish)
Hours and Compensation:
This is a part-time, 20-hour-per-week position based in the Chicago area. There is a strong possibility that this position will transition into a full-time job. City Bureau’s office is in Woodlawn, and the Documenters Field Coordinator is expected to attend regular meetings at the office; some work can be done remotely. Weekend or nighttime hours may be necessary, as this person will spend time attending community events, creating relationships with neighborhood groups and organizing City Bureau events outside the office. City Bureau offers professional development and travel opportunities; some work travel may be required.
City Bureau is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Why You Should Apply:
- You want to define a new mode of civic engagement and empowerment through hands-on learning
- You understand the value of community-led accountability in a people-centered democracy
- You love to learn
Our selection process is designed to be fast and respectful of each candidate’s time. The first round is a simple form (below). The second round is a thorough request for proposals and video interview. All candidates who submit a proposal will be paid for their proposals regardless of final selection.
JULY: FIRST-ROUND APPLICATION IS OPEN
JULY/AUGUST: SELECTED CANDIDATES WILL BE INTERVIEWED IN-PERSON OR VIA VIDEO CHAT. SECOND ROUND CANDIDATES WILL BE OFFERED THE OPPORTUNITY TO SUBMIT A FULL PROJECT PROPOSAL.
SEPTEMBER: FINAL INTERVIEWS AND CANDIDATE SELECTION
- Employees will have the option to join a group health insurance plan, including vision and dental.
- City Bureau will work with all employees to provide professional development opportunities.
- Annual technology stipend offered.
Level of Language Proficiency
English required. Spanish preferred
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Apply at the link above. Please feel free to email us at the address above with any questions.