Senior Financial Aid Counselor
1333 16th Street, NW
Providing a high level of customer service to students and institutional partners, the senior financial aid counselor will have the primary responsibility of responding to inquiries and appeals regarding financial assistance and informing and advising students and campus partners about financial aid eligibility, application procedures, costs and financial policies, individualizing information to the particular needs and situation of the student. The incumbent will make initial evaluations of financial need and eligibility from a variety of sources including institutional guidelines, enrollment data, documentation and personal interviews to recommend financial aid distribution. Additionally, the person will also serve as the liaison with the finance department, fostering the highest level of communication between staff in both offices and will respond to reporting requests from other staff regarding financial aid. This position also shares in assisting with other department duties as needed including data entry, data management, and other activities as assigned. The ideal start date for this position is mid-October. This position needs to be filled ASAP.
Essential Functions listed in order of importance:
Distribution/Awarding of Financial Aid
· Analyze/evaluate eligibility and use professional and fact-based judgment to recommend awards and/or adjustments to student financial aid to meet enrollment targets. Enter scholarship information in our Student Information System and send award notifications to students selected to receive financial assistance. Maintain accurate records of financial assistance and monitor and report on assigned program budgets and expenditures.
· Work Collaboratively with a subset of our affiliated institutions to determine the financial assistance needs of their students
· Provide excellent customer service by phone, in writing, or in person, counseling students and college partners about financial aid eligibility, application procedures, costs and financial planning; individualizing information to the needs and situations of particular students. Act as first point of contact for prospective students via multiple outlets (shared emails, phone, live chat, etc.) about program components, application process, etc.
Customer Relationship Management and Student Information System
· Assist in the development and improvement of various financial aid processes, specifically leveraging the use of technology to provide support for decision making
Cross Departmental Coordination
· Work collaboratively with finance department to ensure invoices are sent in coordination with the awarding of financial aid; to verify eligibility when needed; and to inform them of any special billing arrangements.
· Work closely with Admissions, State Relations regarding state funding and Corporate and Foundation Relations regarding discretionary awards, to ensure scholarships are spent appropriately.
· Execute financial aid workshops for internal and external stakeholders. Respond to ad hoc requests for financial aid reports and information.
· Conduct recruitment visits to 4-6 affiliated campuses each semester. Represent TWC at programs, events and conferences as needed.
Education and Experience an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience will be considered:
- Bachelor’s degree or relevant work experience required
· 1- 3 years of experience in a Financial Aid and/or Admissions Office in a college or university setting is preferred. Related experience considered.
- Experience with Student Information Systems and Customer Relationship Management Systems preferred
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities which are critical to the successful performance of the job. These may be representative but not all inclusive of those commonly associated with the position:
- Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and orally. Confident speaking in small/large groups and with people from diverse backgrounds
- Ability to maintain a high degree of accuracy in data entry with minimal errors
- Ability to manage multiple projects and work collaboratively
- Ability to work efficiently under pressure and around deadlines
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to main confidentiality
- Ability to provide excellent customer service to all stakeholders
- Familiarity with Student Information Systems, reporting and data analysis
- Proficiency in MS Office with strong knowledge of Excel and Word
- General knowledge of higher education and financial aid
Equipment Used to Perform the Job which may be representative but not all inclusive of those commonly associated with this position:
- Standard office equipment including a facsimile machine, photocopier, and telephone system
- Personal Computer, job-related software and printer
Physical Abilities commonly associated with the performance of the functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation can be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform described essential functions of this job. These physical demands are representative of the physical requirements necessary for an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- The employee may frequently lift and/or move up to 25lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, precise hand-eye coordination, and the ability to identify and distinguish colors. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, use repetitive wrist, hand, and/or finger movement, reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand and walk. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch, and crawl.
This job description is no way states or implies that these are the only duties performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees may be required to follow other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties as requested, subject to all applicable state and federal laws.
Certain job functions described herein may be subjected to possible modification in accordance with applicable state and federal laws.
Minimum Education Required