10 G Street NE
To stop deforestation, we need to know where it is happening and who is responsible in time to take action. Global Forest Watch (GFW) is the only free online platform providing near-real time information and analysis about when, where and why forests are changing around the world.
Global Forest Watch uses machine learning algorithms and expert analysis to distill satellite imagery, crowdsourced information, and hundreds of open datasets into actionable insights and policy-relevant information about forests worldwide. GFW’s online platform is simple to use, allowing anyone with an internet connection or a mobile phone to access data, create dynamic maps, and produce custom analyses with just a few clicks.
Designed for action, Global Forest Watch enables researchers, government officials, companies, civil society organizations, and concerned citizens anywhere to make better-informed decisions about managing and conserving forests.
We are searching for a Junior User Outreach Specialist to join the Global Forest Watch Communications team. In this role, you will work across GFW to develop marketing campaigns for GFW features and products. This includes conducting market research, planning and implementing outreach, monitoring analytics and overall ROI, and developing training materials for GFW users.
As the Junior User Outreach Specialist, you will serve as a liaison between the GFW Communications team and GFW Platform team, relaying product updates to the GFW team and relevant audiences and monitoring the performance of marketing and communications efforts through platform analytics. You will also work closely with GFW’s Global Engagement team define target audiences and develop outreach and training materials accordingly.
Your main areas of responsibility will include the following:
DRIVE HIGH-VALUE TRAFFIC TO THE PLATFORM (50%)
- Implement marketing campaigns to grow interest in GFW products among key audiences, with a focus on users in tropical forest countries, through targeted emails, social media, Google AdWords, and improved Search Engine Optimization (SEO).
- Work closely with marketing consultant to create a GFW marketing strategy that drives users to GFW products: including identification of target audiences, assessment of outside trends and opportunities, development marketing goals for various products.
- Communicate important data and product updates to existing users.
- Coordinate with product managers to create in-site marketing features (e.g. pop-up tutorials, site navigation features) that increase conversion rates, drive users to target content, and establish a strong returning user base.
- Coordinate with the Global Forest Watch Communications Manager and Junior Writer/Editor to drive greater user traffic by leveraging GFW communications products such as blogs, media stories, emails, videos, etc.
- Coordinate with WRI country offices to conduct outreach in target countries in South America, Central Africa, and Southeast Asia.
PROVIDE TRAINING AND SUPPORT FOR GFW USERS (30%)
- Create highly-tailored training materials for the platform in a variety of formats (digital, PDFs, PowerPoints, GIFs, videos, etc.).
- Coordinate with the Global Engagement team to develop and implement training strategies on the use of GFW tools and data for law enforcement and advocacy.
- Create informational materials and exercises for GFW workshops and events with NGO, private sector, government, and civil society audiences.
- Develop guidance documents to help users select the appropriate forest monitoring tools for their needs.
- Manage translation of training materials into five key languages (French, Spanish, Indonesian, Portuguese, and Chinese).
- Host webinars and in-person trainings to teach target users how to use the GFW platform.
- Provide support on demos and presentations for GFW users and partner organizations.
- Coordinate with web developers and product managers to develop in-site features and “tips” to help users navigate complex tools. Relay relevant feedback to product managers.
- Oversee GFW’s “How-to” portal that hosts all training materials from GFW and GFW partners (globalforestwatch.org/howto).
- Provide general user support on GFW data and tools as needed.
OVERSEE IMPACT OF MARKETING CAMPAIGNS AND OUTREACH (20%)
- Evaluate marketing campaigns and user metrics using Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) in Google Analytics and Salesforce.
- Create analytics reports that capture outcomes of marketing campaigns to share with the GFW team and donors.
- Produce metrics for measuring impact and implement strategies to reach growth goals.
- Collect user stories, testimonials, and other examples of how people are using GFW to support the Monitoring & Evaluation Manager.
Level of Language Proficiency
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, environmental science, international development, or related field
- One+ years of relevant, full-time work experience
- Demonstrated interest in international environmental issues, data, technology, and communications
- Demonstrated interest in producing high-quality, polished products
- Highly detail-oriented
- Strong organization skills and an aptitude for task management
- A demonstrated willingness to take initiative and complete tasks with little guidance
- A team player, but also able to move things forward independently
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Creative problem-solver who likes to be challenged and think outside the box
- Demonstrated experience developing and executing marketing campaigns and motivation to grow marketing expertise
- Demonstrated experience using Google Analytics
- Design skills in Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop)
- Video and sound editing skills in Final Cut Pro and screen recording software (e.g. Screenflow)
- Experience with product marketing in the technology or environmental space
- Advanced language skills in French, Spanish, Portuguese or Bahasa Indonesia a major plus
- Basic programming skills (HTML, CSS), and experience with GitHub a plus
World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity and human well-being. We are working to address seven critical challenges that the world must overcome this decade in order to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water, sustainable cities, and the ocean.
We are passionate. We value our diversity of interests, skills and backgrounds. We have a flexible work environment. And we share a common goal to catalyze change that will improve the lives of people. Our shared ideals are at the core of our approach. They include: integrity, innovation, urgency, independence and respect.
The foundation of our work is delivering high-quality research, data, maps and analysis to solve the world’s greatest environment and international development challenges, and improve people’s lives. We work with leaders in government, business and civil society to drive ambitious action and create change on the ground. Equally important, we bring together partners to develop breakthrough ideas and scale-up solutions for far-reaching, enduring impact.
We have been growing rapidly: our staff has doubled in size over the past 5 years and our operating budget is now $100 million. Founded in 1982, WRI has a global staff of 800+ people with work spanning 60 countries. We have offices in Africa, Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico and the United States as well as a growing presence in other countries and regions.
WRI is committed to advancing gender and social equity for human well-being in our mission and applies this principle to our organizational and programmatic practices.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Candidates should provide a links to writing samples (2-3 clips) or their portfolio with their application. Applicants must apply at careers.wri.org to be considered.