137 East 25th Street, 2nd Floor
New York, NY
Summary/Purpose of the Position:
Global Kids, Inc. is seeking a dynamic, hard-working, and creative individual who is experienced in youth development and social action as well as interest in one of New York City’s Community Schools. The Community School Site Director will coordinate several core components of the community school initiative, which includes attendance interventions, parent engagement activities, social and emotional wellness programs, as well as community outreach. The ideal candidate will have experience in leadership roles and familiarity with New York City schools working with multiple stakeholders.
School & Community Partnerships
● Develop strong relationships with NYC DOE teachers, parents and students, especially through existing inquiry groups such as the School Cabinet and School Leadership Team (SLT).
● Work collaboratively with school administrators and staff to develop, implement, and assess the Community School initiatives within the school.
● Work with school staff (principals, faculty, guidance counselors, parent coordinators, facilities staff etc.) to conduct quality and safe programming.
● Host a monthly forum for ongoing collaboration with members of the community, including parent leaders, school-based organizations and partnering organizations.
● Broker new partnerships aligned with school goals and needs.
● Help navigate, secure resources and build/sustain relationships with participants, parents, school staff, other CBOs, etc.
Data Management, Outcomes & Evaluation
● Organize and oversee an annual “Assets and Needs Assessment” for the school community to seek input from all stakeholders in the school community to determine ongoing needs of students and families.
● Maintain student and program documents.
● Assist with data collection, research and prepare relevant data for outcomes evaluation and data-based decision making.
● Identify needs of chronically absent students, apply interventions, and track and monitor impact of interventions on weekly basis as part of weekly Student Success meetings.
● Manage and conduct attendance outreach, recruitment and retention services including attendance monitoring/data review, data entry, conferences, attendance incentive activities and phone calls.
● Remain informed on current Community Schools/Attendance Intervention and Dropout Prevention guidelines and contractor responsibilities; attend provider meetings; CSD trainings and maintain contact with DOE Program Manager
Supervision and Management
● Provide overall support, management and supervision of school-based Global Kids staff, including daily management of tasks,facilitate weekly staff check-ins, daily program observations with immediate feedback, and performance evaluations.
● Review and approve staff time sheets and school sign-in sheets on a bi-weekly basis.
● Ensure Global Kids and school staff members are aware of changes and new developments to contractualand programmatic guidelines and expectations.
Extended Learning Day
● Link school day to extended day learning opportunities and afterschool programming.
● Coordinate and co-facilitate interactive, experiential workshops and activities for GK's weekly school-day and after-school programs and ensure the implementation of quality programming.
● Organize special events, including annual Community Forum, mini-conferences, parent nights, performances, and other events.
● Ensure student and Global Kids staff participation in Global Kids citywide events.
● Attend school events, which may happen during after-school hours or weekends.
● Occasional overnight and long-distance travel required.
● Master’s degree in related field and 5 years professional experience is required.
● Experience working within the New York City Department of Education and knowledge of Department of Education policies and protocols.
● Experience and ability to work with youth and/or use interactive learning strategies in culturally diverse settings.
● Experience in community organizing and/or community outreach
● Experience supervising personnel and managing teams required.
● Experience managing large contracts and meeting multiple contractual obligations
● Experience working in school-based settings with knowledge about community organizing, student support services, and youth development.
● Ability to work collaboratively and build strong relationship with school administrators, teachers and community partners.
● Knowledge of and passion for global issues, political science, history, education and social activism.
● Excellent facilitation, consensus-building and interpersonal skills.
● Strong work ethic, highly organized, proactive, creative, willing to learn, and able to juggle multiple tasks independently.
● Strong communication and technology skills.
● International experience and fluency in Spanish a plus.
Good benefits and possibilities for travel.
Level of Language Proficiency
International experience and fluency in Spanish a plus. We are actively seeking candidates of diverse backgrounds.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send a resume, cover letter with salary requirements to email@example.com. Please indicate “Community Schools Site Director” in the subject line of the email. We are unable to accept any phone, mail, or fax inquiries; please refer to the Global Kids web site for further information, www.globalkids.org.