43 Foundry Ave
EDUCATION DEVELOPMENT CENTER (EDC)
Education Development Center (EDC) is a global nonprofit that advances lasting solutions to improve education, promote health, and expand economic opportunity. Since 1958, we have been a leader in designing, implementing, and evaluating powerful and innovative programs in more than 80 countries around the world.
EDC promotes equity and access to high quality education and health services and products that contribute to thriving communities where people from diverse backgrounds learn, live, and work together. We support an inclusive workplace culture that embraces many perspectives and broadens our understanding of the communities we serve, enhancing and enriching our work.
EDC is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
The Accounting & Finance Department in the Administration & Finance Division has an opening for a full-time Senior Accountant I (Accounts Receivable), reporting to the Accounts Receivable Manager, in Waltham, Massachusetts.
The person in this position is expected to communicate clearly and courteously; to develop and maintain positive relationships with clients, consultants, collaborators, co-workers, field sites, and funders; and to work respectfully with EDC colleagues. The job requires adherence to EDC policies & procedures.
Responsible for a broad set of accounts receivable operations and serving as a generalist to meet critical needs and to assist in implementation of continuous process improvement projects, the Senior Accountant I (Accounts Receivable):
• Works with other A/R staff to resolve problems and to ensure adequate internal controls and compliance with GAAP and applicable regulatory requirements
• Works closely with the A/R Manager coordinating the more complex accounting projects and initiatives
• Prepares general and subledger reconciliations for accounts receivable related accounts
• Processes daily cash, preparing and maintaining accurate records
• Prepares the A/R portion of project closeouts for assigned areas
• Prepares accurate and timely invoices, and receivables collections of projects for assigned areas
• Performs monthly reconciliations of projects for assigned areas
• Recommends — and helps to develop and maintain — documented procedure and policies
• Maintains an in-depth understanding of EDC’s accounting policies and procedures
• Ensures accuracy and effectiveness in all accounting tasks
• Communicates with and provides customer service to the programmatic and administrative departments
• Cooperates with Office of Sponsored Programs on billing issues
The Senior Accountant I (Accounts Receivable)
• Liaises with other accounting team members to accomplish specific tasks and to improve overall Accounting Department teamwork and efficiency
• Troubleshoots problems, ensuring coordination, and suggests corrective strategies
• Performs other accounts receivable duties as assigned
This position requires educational achievement; excellent writing skills; demonstrable initiative, creativity, and flexibility; ability to work independently and effectively in groups; and strong interpersonal & organizational skills. Specific requirements:
• Bachelor’s degree with concentration in accounting
• At least 3 years substantial accounting experience, including experience with a variety of accounting systems, account reconciliations, and journal entry processing
• Intermediate proficiency in Excel (pivot tables a plus)
• Experience with Deltek Cost Point a plus
• Experience with accounting services in a non-profit environment and exposure to government &/or project accounting highly desirable
• Strong analytical skills and aptitude for details and accuracy
• Ability to multitask and to respond to changing business needs
EDC, 43 Foundry Ave, Waltham, MA 02453
No phone calls, please
EDC is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to enhancing the diversity of its workforce and ensuring an equitable and highly inclusive work environment. EDC is a smoke-free workplace, and offers a supportive work environment, competitive salary, and excellent benefits. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.
Minimum Education Required